Buying Advice best tractor for mountain property-

/ best tractor for mountain property- #11  
True the skid is the way to go for this yard but at $80k it would be cheaper to hire it out.

/ best tractor for mountain property- #12  
I live in Nelson Co, VA as well, right in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I had a 4700 with R4 tires that was mostly able to negotiate the hills on my property, except for a few extreme ones.

I agree that the 4000 series are excellent in this type of terrain. My rear tires were at there most narrow setting the entire time I had it. It did get close a couple of times. Did have fluid in the tires, however.

James River Equipment does have some used 4000 models. Here's what I see under 20k ish:

4200 Hydro 4x4 $4,800
4115 w/410 loader $13,900
4230 w/400X loader $21,999

/ best tractor for mountain property- #13  
Something with a roll over protection system, seat belt, power hydraulic wet enclosed brakes, live pro, live hydraulics, differential lock, M4WD, power steering. Something with a low wide chassis and low wide tires. Hydrostatic transmission would not hurt either.If somebody tries promoting the N series Fords etc to you, thank the person for trying to kill you and walk away. Travel slow on slopes. A minor bump or hollow has flipped many machines.

/ best tractor for mountain property- #14  
i would get a used jd 5210 mfd.,at least a 5105.they would be so much more useful than a skid steer and would do a lot more work than a 4000 series.

/ best tractor for mountain property- #15  
I have a smaller piece on mountain land than you. I love it. Whatever you get, make sure you get a backhoe on it. I use mine all the time for stumps, cutting elevations and everything in between. Invaluable tool for mountain land