Best Tractor for wooded mountain land

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #31  
Deere hoes don't affect ground clearance at all. The RSA system locks them tight without the need for affitional framework. The tractor and hoe were designed as a system.

The Woods 4 point sounds like a good setup.

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land
I wanted to thank everyone for the information and the inputs. I've narrowed things down to 40-50 hp range and I'm trying to get turbo for the altitude.

I've visited 4 dealers so far: Kioti (DK50), JD (4120), Kubota (4400 no-turbo), and NH dealer (TC45A, TC55DA).

Next I'm hitting Massey, CAT, and potentially Agco (If I understand things they all sell version of the same tractor made by Agco) they are the 1440/1540, 275B, and ST40 respectively. There are some differences but I haven't gotten it straight in my head yet.

I'm putting a comparison spreadsheet with tractor and FEL specs and price quotes. I'll post it when I have it filled in. Once I understnd the differences a little more I plan to narrow down to 2 or 3 and go from there.

What should I be looking for on the FEL specs besides lift capacity and bucket size?

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #33  
Looks and sounds like the country around Chama. I hunted elk up there maybe 40 years ago. Saw the railroad plowin' the passes on TV the other day. Great place!

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( and I'm trying to get turbo for the altitude. )</font>

You will regret purchasing a non-turbo tractor for use at 9000 ft. I wouldn't even consider it. I've taken my 600cc 4-stroke dirt bike up in the mountains and it feels like a 125cc at altitude. A diesel is worse, a diesel depends on compression to ignite the fuel. They usually have 22:1 compression compared to gas which is around 9:1 . If you've ever driven a non turbo diesel up to sierra blanca, you'd know what I mean. I have and it struggled to make it. With the turbo, you'll have pretty much full power.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What should I be looking for on the FEL specs besides lift capacity and bucket size?)</font>

Too big a bucket is bad unless your only hauling light stuff like compost. Too small a bucket is bad also. Get one that covers the width of your tractor and if you want you can upgrade to heavy duty. Remember, lifting heavy loads on a slope is dangerous.

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #35  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm trying to get turbo for the altitude. )</font>

Probably a good idea, though it may be worth checking into what adjustments can be made to a non-turbo'd tractor... I could swear I remember some of the farmers where I grew up in NW Ohio fiddling with something (injector pressure??) to get more power out of their tractors. I don't know if this would work at altitude, but it's worth checking into.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What should I be looking for on the FEL specs besides lift capacity and bucket size?)</font>

Dump and Rollback angles can be important. Some of the less expensive FELs don't have as great a range here. It can really be a factor if you have clay soils... hard to get that stuff to come out of the bucket some times. Do you need to dump into a truck? Make sure you have the lift height to clear the sides of whatever you need to dump into.

John Mc

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #36  
You say you want to do road making and grading at altitude, but no mowing.

Consider a compact tracked loader (CTL). They have superior pushing and digging power. They can also extend the work season.

Expensive, yes. But they can do a bunch of work on the weekends. Good resale too.

You might be able to rent a CAT 247B or 257B and see how much work it can do.

Case has announced theirs. The 445CT and 450CT.
I am looking forward to seeing the Case version.
The 450CT has a 3800# load rating, weighs 11K, and uses a Cummins Turbo.

NH has two models LT185.B and LT190.B

JD has theirs. CT322 and CT332

In addition to the MFG attachments, there are many more available. For example, see the ABC Groff attachment list

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #37  
<font color="blue">I've visited 4 dealers so far: Kioti (DK50), JD (4120), Kubota (4400 no-turbo), and NH dealer (TC45A, TC55DA). </font>

i own a large farm in s/w NH and use a Kioti DK55 cab. it's a turbo model you should consider. i'm using it for some of the same things you require: logging in some VERY inhospitable areas (places where i can't get my 4x4 into); very rocky, very hilly area.

after 300 hrs i'm very pleased with this tractor. in the last few weeks i've used the tractor to skid 10+ cords out of the woods. very sure-footed tractor with excellent ground clearance. in addition, i've used it to widen/smooth ~3+ miles of old logging trails w/o any problem.

good luck.

pf

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land
pseudofarmer - Great information to know. If you don't mind me asking what attachments did you get? What skidding technique are you using? how much did your set-up run you?

rivulet - I looked through the links you provided. My mouth is watering, but I would not be able to swing the prices. Additionally my remoteness makes transport of a rental into and out of the site a large hassle.

Thank you,