Best tuner/chip for 2005 cummins 5.9L

/ Best tuner/chip for 2005 cummins 5.9L #31  
...While I was stuck stagnate at 60-65. But it was just odd that with 50% pedal, I could maintain 60MPH no problem.
May not be related but I have a 96' Dodge and had this same problem and finally replacing the fuel filter a 2nd time worked and I have power again. Worth a try.

...once started and dropped into drive, its like the truck is either in neutral or slipping real bad. Solution is to cycle through all the gears a few times at idle to fill all the clutch packs ...
I have this problem too and I just warm up in Neutral, works for me (with a little rev'ing up the motor if I'm in a hurry.)

Did you get a chip?

/ Best tuner/chip for 2005 cummins 5.9L #32  
Other unrelated problem with the trans that I will have addressed this fall/winter. The way my transmission guy described it is like a check valve that keeps the converter from draining off when the truck is shut off. Cause when the truck sits more than a couple of days, once started and dropped into drive, its like the truck is either in neutral or slipping real bad. Solution is to cycle through all the gears a few times at idle to fill all the clutch packs and converter back up with fluid. According to my guy he said as long as this is done, no harm is being done. Last year when I questioned him about this, there was a kit he was looking into to fix the issue but didnt know much about it yet as it was a relatively new fix.

Wish I could get the newer transmissions with the old 5.9 common rail motor:thumbsup:

This is the converter draining back to the pan. It's been a problem with Chrysler trannies for many years from the old Torque-Flite on up through the 48RE. Just start it and put it in drive to re-fill. Usually takes about 5-15 seconds for it to hold full engine torque.
It's annoying, but it won't hurt anything as the torque converter must be full to transfer power, but doesn't wear when "slipping". The fix, I think, is a check valve on the cooling lines. Genos should have the kit
Mine did it for about 200,000 miles of the 280,000 I drove it. I wanted an Aisin tranny for years not realizing they are not compatible with earlier trucks because they are completely computer controlled.

/ Best tuner/chip for 2005 cummins 5.9L
Haven't got a chip yet.

Converter draining is indeed the issue.

Still doing some research. Not in any hurry.

/ Best tuner/chip for 2005 cummins 5.9L #34  
My son had a smarty , ( model # ???? ) on His '06 2500 for a year or so before he blew up the transmission . Transmission was the 68RFE , which , Stock , is o.k. , but adding the extra torque / h.p. , killed it . Rebuilt it myself , although no thanks to him , I had to actually put it together and take it back apart multiple times . Won't go into that fiasco , But the newer transmissions are pretty easy to work on . The one complaint I have heard on programmers around here is the same for any brand of programmer or truck , Transmissions are the weak link . If you do get one , think about adding at least 1 gauge , a transmission temp gauge . You can tell a lot just from that 1 gauge .

Fred H.

/ Best tuner/chip for 2005 cummins 5.9L #35  
If it was a 2006, it would have had the 48RE for the transmission. The 6 speed 68RFE didn't come out until the late 2007 model year, which is also when the switch to the 6.7 Cummins happened.

/ Best tuner/chip for 2005 cummins 5.9L #36  
Correct , 2007 with the 6.7 , Mine is the 2006 . :duh: The 68RFE can be rebuilt pretty stout with all kinds of clutch plate combo's , custom made shafts , etc... , But the weak link in the whole thing is the roller bearings through out the transmission .

SBK-C18.jpg

If something goes in transmission , like 1 of the clutch packs , Best to replace and save future headaches .

Fred H.

/ Best tuner/chip for 2005 cummins 5.9L #37  
Cant resist!

What does Caitlin Jenner and Dodge trucks have in common?

They both have tranny issues....

/ Best tuner/chip for 2005 cummins 5.9L #38  
Cant resist!

What does Caitlin Jenner and Dodge trucks have in common?

They both have tranny issues....

Plus: It's a complicated issue and so many have a strong opinion about it. Does Caitlin need an Aisin?