Best way to add weight.

/ Best way to add weight. #11  
I am not sure what the wheel weights look like for your machine but all of them I have seen for a garden tractor stick out past the tire. I had a set on a Cub Cadet. They were always the way and looked bad. Loading the tires would be the least expensive way to do it. I think a rear weight bracket would be the best cause you could take them off when you don't need them.

/ Best way to add weight.
I am very surprised some of you are suggesting filling with water. Do you realize what your doing when you do that?

The inside of the wheel WILL rust. After a few years, the rust will make it's way to the outer edge, where the bead of the tire seats. Once corrosion takes place there, tires usually leak between the bead and the wheel. Sorry, but I will never fill a tire with pure water.

I should have said this before, but my ground is VERY soft for about 8 months of the year. Even with no weight but the machine itself, right now I am still leaving some imprints and making tracks. I just wish John Deere didn't jack up their prices so high. What they want for the click-n-go system and the rear weight bracket is insane! Now I guess the next question is, how much weight is enough? I guess the real answer is you can never have too much weight, but let's be realistic. I want to push some fairly heavy material, so I am worried that 6 suitcase weights and chains may not even be enough. I guess at that point my only option is to add wheel weights WITH rear suitcase weights.

/ Best way to add weight. #13  
I am very surprised some of you are suggesting filling with water. Do you realize what your doing when you do that?

The inside of the wheel WILL rust. After a few years, the rust will make it's way to the outer edge, where the bead of the tire seats. Once corrosion takes place there, tires usually leak between the bead and the wheel. Sorry, but I will never fill a tire with pure water.

I should have said this before, but my ground is VERY soft for about 8 months of the year. Even with no weight but the machine itself, right now I am still leaving some imprints and making tracks. I just wish John Deere didn't jack up their prices so high. What they want for the click-n-go system and the rear weight bracket is insane! Now I guess the next question is, how much weight is enough? I guess the real answer is you can never have too much weight, but let's be realistic. I want to push some fairly heavy material, so I am worried that 6 suitcase weights and chains may not even be enough. I guess at that point my only option is to add wheel weights WITH rear suitcase weights.

You could buy a weight bracket off something else and modify to work on the back. Lowes sells the weights at a good price, even the ones with the deere on them. BTW don't you have a bucket carrier for it? What is the load capacity of it?

/ Best way to add weight. #14  
Debating on which way is the best and potentially cheapest to add weight to the rear of my X740 for blade work.

Wheel weights, or click-n-go weight bracket? The upside to the wheel weights is it requires no click-n-go bracket, and no weight bracket. Those alone amount to almost $300 in needed items before you can add 1 weight to the machine. However, I do not know what the wheel weights usually sell for.

The downside I see to wheel weights is if your by yourself, I can see them being very difficult to install. Trying to hold a 72 pound piece of iron up while lining up bolt holes is not easy!

So, what do you folks suggest?

You can fill your wheels up with windshield washer fluid, that's also a good idea. Or Rim Guard. That doesn't rust it out like calcium in the tires.

But I understand since we live in the same area, its not a good idea to load them up with liquids because the ground is very soft.

/ Best way to add weight. #15  

I have had the ones on my 7520 filled with water since 2006. I just had one off. No rust. They are painted of course. Even without good paint it would take many years to compromise the rim strength. The bead itself is air tight to start so oxygen cant get to the metal. It takes more than a few years to rust out a rim even with CaCl.
,,,Youre concerned with price and difficulty and have an exaggerated argument against free and easy.
larry

I have had the ones on my 7520 filled with water since 2006. I just had one off. No rust. They are painted of course. Even without good paint it would take many years to compromise the rim strength. The bead itself is air tight to start so oxygen cant get to the metal. It takes more than a few years to rust out a rim even with CaCl.
,,,Youre concerned with price and difficulty and have an exaggerated argument against free and easy.
larry

I didn't say I was looking for a cheap way where I don't care how it affects my equipment. If you aren't going to do something right, with quality in mind, don't even bother to start.

There is a right way, and a wrong way, to do every single thing on the face of this planet. Nothing bothers me more than cheap people who don't care to do their research, or to try and protect their investment. I spent $10,000 on a garden tractor, you won't see me filling my tires with water. I look after everything I own, and in turn, it looks after me.

You could buy a weight bracket off something else and modify to work on the back. Lowes sells the weights at a good price, even the ones with the deere on them. BTW don't you have a bucket carrier for it? What is the load capacity of it?

The bucket holder is only rated for 50 pounds per bucket maximum. It isn't that strong of a setup and isn't designed to be used as a way to carry ballast. I had 2 buckets full of 3/8'' chain on it last week, and that made me a little nervous! One thing I am curious about. I wonder if the click-n-go brackets interfere with the way the bucket carrier attaches to the tractor, sure looks like it will.

/ Best way to add weight. #18  
Buy a Tractor.2 machines -1 small and 1 bigger for the heavy jobs like Jenks does.

/ Best way to add weight. #19  
The bucket holder is only rated for 50 pounds per bucket maximum. It isn't that strong of a setup and isn't designed to be used as a way to carry ballast. I had 2 buckets full of 3/8'' chain on it last week, and that made me a little nervous! One thing I am curious about. I wonder if the click-n-go brackets interfere with the way the bucket carrier attaches to the tractor, sure looks like it will.

Is this different than the click and go bracket?

Rear Weight Bracket Fits John Deere X475 X485 X575 X748 | eBay

/ Best way to add weight. #20  
okay I know this is not the answer but just had corn beef and cabbage at the cousin's place, good food I didn't have to cook and the second helping isn't going to take any weight off, lol.