Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture
I have owned the Turbosaw for about 4 years. I had about 20 acres of Eastern Red Cedar that I wanted to clear. I did a lot of research at the time and bought the Turbosaw. It will cut the stumps at ground level (slightly below if you let the saw settle in by going back and forth) and you do not need the stump grinder. On level ground it works great On uneven ground not so much. If trees are very tall, since you cannot control the direction of fall. It can be dangerous. I have cut several thousand trees with it over the years. I worked on a neighbors field this spring and with trees under 12 feet and 2-6" diameter I could cut about 200 trees per hour. Tractor is a John Deere 3038e. If you have any questions, just ask.

My land is flat, 5-7 degree slope in some areas. So it sounds like you recommend the TurboSaw. What did you do with all trees after you cut them?

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #12  
   / Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #13  
Reminds me of a naive man I once new.
(OP - not saying at all you are naive - read on.)

We were looking for land. I had never really been exposed to logging, land clearing, or site development. My wife, however, grew up on a farm.
We would look at a nice piece of land; covered with trees. I would stand with a determined look on my face and tell my wife "Yeah, I'll clear 5 acres here. It should'nt be that hard." The first couple of times I said it, she would start laughing. Eventually, she just said "Yes, Dear", and patted me gently on the arm.

Well, I have been working on and off for a couple of years on a one acre patch. I reckon I'll finish one of these days.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #14  
In my opinion, the best way to take out trees is with an excavator. If that's not an option, then a backhoe, which is what I have. For small trees like you described, most of the time I can just push them over by putting the bottom of the hoe bucket against the base of the tree and working my way up, while pushing it over. If that doesn't work, then a little digging on either side and they come right out. For smaller saplings I use the teeth of the bucket to push the tree over and pin it to the ground, then I move the bucket sideways a few inches an pull the bucket back towards me. This creates a hook in the tree where it's bending and I can quickly pull it out of the ground. I did this with hundreds of trees over the last weekend while clearing an area for a new fence.

I would not use a dozer. I own a pretty good sized dozer that's 40,000 pounds and 170hp. It pushes most trees over alright, except when the tree snaps off and leaves a stump. Then that's a big mess. The big problem with a dozer is getting the trees to where you want to burn them. Even with a rake you will end up with tons of dirt in your burn pile.

My neighbor has had a lot of his land mulched. The day its done, it's really nice. But nothing grows there for awhile and you cannot plant anything in all of the chips until they rot away. In six months it's all weeds. A year later it looks worse then before it was mulched!!! You really have to spend a lot of time working the ground after it's done to have nice results. In my opinion, it's a lot of extra effort to accomplish this.

Getting the trees out is the easy part. Getting them to the burn pile is where you will spend all of your time and energy. Dragging them creates ruts and it's very VERY SLOW. A grapple is by far your best friend. Nothing is faster, cleaner or easier then picking them up and carrying them to the pile. I modified my backhoe front bucket to be a Quick Attach so I could remove the bucket and put on the grapple. Now I can remove the trees with the hoe, and then turn around and use the grapple to clean up my mess. A quarter of my time over the weekend was removing the trees, the other 75 percent of the time was picking them up and hauling them to the burn pile.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #15  
We cleared about ten acres two years ago;this after ten years of do-it-your-self stuff.Hired a Skid Steer with a Fecon head,left the bigger trees for fire wood(cut the following winter) then hired a excavator to pull stumps.We cleared all the debris with tractors(grapple).
This was solid brush and second growth junk trees.Best money ever spent.Planted into food plots and they are doing well.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #16  
I have 80 acres in an area known as the Channeled Scablands of NE WA state. Every spring I thin my Ponderosa pine stands. The pines I cut ( chainsaw ) are from 1" to 6" on the butt. I will cut/chip anywhere from 900 to a max of 1200 young pines every spring.

I have a heavy duty grapple on my Kubota M6040. There is no way that this tractor/grapple is of ANY use, what-so-ever, in this annual thinning project. After I have gone into a stand and chainsawed the trees - it resembles a gigantic game of "Pick Up Sticks". There is simply no way of weaving any size tractor in and around the remaining, standing trees. Removal of the cut trees and piling them is all manual.

The dragging & piling is, far and away, the most difficult part of this annual project. As a matter of fact, it's a REAL PITA. Chipping is the fun part. The dragging involves lifting, dragging a 20 foot pine over and around all the other fallen pines. I will usually fall a couple times during this operation. I've become quite proficient at falling and not really getting hurt.

However - if I wanted to fell and chip ALL the trees in a stand. Then the tractor and grapple would be FANTASTIC. It would be very easy to corral and pile the pines with the grapple.

I cut the young pines at or near ground level and they are totally rotted out within four years.

I don't know about your trees( Bradford pears & Cedars) but a 6" Ponderosa pine is just right at the max limit that I can drag out and pile. It's also at the max limit for my Wallenstein BX62S chipper.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #17  
I have removed 20' white cedar trees just with the loader. I had the bucket edge sharpened up abit with the angle grinder, which helped shear the roots and grip the tree. Basically all I did was cut into the roots on one side of the tree about a foot or two from the trunk by putting the loader into the ground and giving it a wiggle to cut through. Then back up and push on the tree about 4' up till the front axle gets near the up rooted stump, then back up and scoop the stump at ground level leaving most of the soil. Loamy soil in spring helped of course but it was surprisingly easy and the intact side root let me just push most of the trees straight ahead into the fence line.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #18  
If you really don't want to disturb the topsoil much I think a larger forestry mulcher is the way to go for 50 acres. Doing that with skid steer mounted mulcher will take hundreds of hours. Likely 1-200 hours in ideal conditions. If conditions are poor much longer.

It would also be reasonable to do it with a 20 ton excavator and then stack and burn everything you can't use but again 50 acres is going to take much more than a large mulcher and you then have to deal with a HUGE amount of trees to chip, burn or truck off.

Agreed. They did acreage for me with one. Stumps are ground right to about ground level. If you arent going to be tilling the soil I wouldnt worry about digging stumps up. Lots of time involved there.
These are who did mine. they are probably a couple of hours from you.
i have access to trackhoes and dozers and can run them myself but I choose them to come mulch it instead.

Home - North Alabama Land Clearing and Forestry Mulching my land.jpg

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #19  
An excavator with a proficient operator would probably be the fastest

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #20  
My land is flat, 5-7 degree slope in some areas. So it sounds like you recommend the TurboSaw. What did you do with all trees after you cut them?

Eastern Red Cedar will burn green. I piled them and burned them.
This is actually a 2 part problem. The first is cutting or removing the trees. The second is disposal of the trees.
The right decision for you depends upon you importance of time, money, speed, and final use of the land. Leaving stumps in the ground is the easiest and fastest. This will limit your use of the land until the stumps rot. The trees will have to be piled if you burn, mulch or ship out. The only option of piling is a large mulching head, but will cover the fields in a heavy layer of mulch. This will ****** grass growth. Burning the trees will require the trees to dry for about a year. Are there burning restrictions in your area? Is there a market for mulch in our area? Is there a demand for free firewood in your area? Are the trees desirable for relocating by a nursery?

Any method that removes stumps, will be expensive, labor intensive, and require leveling work after. My neighbor has an excavating company.

I have seen the results of excavator, bulldozer, skidsteer with mulching head/saw, tree puller, chainsaw,and turbosaw. They have different costs with good and bad points.