Security & Theft best way to electrically prevent theft?

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #51  
I agree.. the casual thief looking for something he can carry off and sell or pawn won't look twice at a 'broke down' tractor.. etc... It's the ones that want big money that scare ya...

soundguy

JC-jetro said:
Well..well well.. How about them apples? Nice Soundguy! I knew you had a perfect and plausible answer... Just needed to wait and hear from you:) Good Point..

Now I know exactly what you mean. I still think the average Jo Shmo would be thief is not smart enough or have enough time to go thru all the trouble for a quick bite. Idea of blocked pivot point is good for a tractor split. If I ever have to split a tractor, I thought I'd do it on cement floor, keep the scoop loaded, lowered to the floor to keep rear housing/transmission level. Leave enough room to pull the engine section forward, remove the front weigh and balance the engine on wheeled transmission jack to move the front forward and probably keep a jack stand in front bumper in case front decided to go down.

Great response, thanks:)

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #52  
repoage,
Late on this, have inquired on line, without response to camera "seller." Where did you get the internet remote cameras? Are your cameras the celphone technology?

Just had my barn and travel trailer broken into on the farm, an hour from my home.
Ed

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #53  
The only 'sure-fire' protection is insurance.

I have a Kubota that I have to leave at an isolated wooded location.
I do have insurance, but just to make it difficult for someone to steal, I did the following:

Took one of those 6' steel digging bars and drilled a hole through it.
Drilled a matching hole through the belly pan I made for the tractor.
Then I just slide the bar through the gaps in the rear wheels, going over the top of the belly pan, and padlock the bar to the belly pan.

Certainly not foolproof, but may deter some of the lazier thieves.

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #54  
I know web-cams are cheap and reliable now - How about something rigged up where the alarm system alerts you and you can record/see what's going on from a web-cam? If you are 3 minutes away you can probably catch them. Police around here seem to be a lot better at catching speeders than actual criminals (much safer and easier) so you will probably have to do the hard work youself. I commend you for standing your ground - Crime is just out of control and I hate the attitude that that is just the way it is.

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #55  
this is a old thread- but can be worth resurrecting. I don't beleive in one answers fits all situations will work. webcams, physical locks, hidden start switches, fuse removal, etc. can work on the most part.

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #56  
A simple disabling device (hidden battery switch, pulling a fuse etc) will deter the "casual" thief or crime of opportunity.

If someone has decided to steal your tractor with anything beyond a casual thought, you might as well say good bye to your tractor- they probably have prepared for any deterrent employed.

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #57  
repoage,
Late on this, have inquired on line, without response to camera "seller." Where did you get the internet remote cameras? Are your cameras the celphone technology?

Just had my barn and travel trailer broken into on the farm, an hour from my home.
Ed

Surshot...go to X10.com - Security Cameras, X10 Home Security, Wireless Camera, Home Automation, Electronics and More! and take a look at all they have to offer...real inexpensive cameras that you can access online or have record what is going on...Good Luck..

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #58  
electric-chair.jpg

(they did say, "electrically")

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #59  
Best advice thus far. I also leave the PTO engaged and have even fooled myself on occasion. LoJack would be cool!

The dealer who sold me my Kubota is now a Lojack dealer and will install it on your tractor.

I personally leave mine with the PTO lever on and the gear shift engaged. This will deter a joy rider. I also used to turn the fuel sttopcock to off but too many times I forgot and would drive a few minutes, sputter to a stop and then have to bleed it.

Dogs are no better. I've known teens, simple crooks and pro's to dispatch dogs with no trouble at all. They may stop a joyrider or vandal, but not much else.

I've settled on good insurance and quit worrying about it.