Best way to get ride of big ants?

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #11  
I use boiling water in my yard, just kick the top off the hill & pour it in! They usually leave. ~~ grnspot

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #12  
Where are you located Jimt76. That might help to say what kind of ant's you have! Here in the north west we have cutter ants that make large nest! :)

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #13  
The best method I have found thus far ........ both for ants and for the box alder beetles we used to be covered with ........ is soapy water.

Yup... just soapy water. Buy the cheapest dish washing soap you can find and put about a cup into one of the two gallon sprayers that you pump up. Then just spray the critter or the mound and they will die. They apparently can not survive with the soap on their exoskeleton.

Our house used to have thousands of the beetles all over the sunny side. Then one morning while it was cool ....while the beetles were all massed behind a chimney before it got warm ..... I went and sprayed the soapy water. I later found a literal pile of the insects at the base of the chimney and they are not back. I have used the technique on dozens of ant mounds. They die.

It really works. Cheap and not dangerous for pets or kids or the property.

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #14  
BruceWard, thanks on the tip, I too tried the nuking technique...and found they'd open up shop about 5-10' feet from the original mound.

Apparently you have tougher ants out your way. Mine ran for their lives into the next county. :D

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #15  
Soapy water works for wasps as well. Wasps breather through their skin. When they are coated in soap they can not breathe. I have successfully attacked some large wasp nests with a sprayer full of soapy water. It will knock them out of the air.

/ Best way to get ride of big ants?
I am in northern Colorado. I will try the soap and report

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #17  
im thinking about some C4????

i truly hate those mounds. weve had them here also. ive mowed over quite a few of them.

/ Best way to get ride of big ants?
I put a cup a dishwasher soap in a 2 gallon sprayer. Not a instant killer will update tomorrow

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #19  
I've used the heavy dose of palmolive in water against bees before and can attest to it working. Certainly less expensive than the Raid spray cans, and much better smell in case of wind spray back...

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #20  
I have been fighting Red Ants for the past 5 years. I have 2 mounds about 3 feet around and no matter what I have used they always return. I was discussing this with a friend and he told me about a new product he picked up at the "Big Box Store". It is made by Ortho and was called something like Orthene (spelling??). Comes in a plastic bottle, its a white powder, and is about 10" tall. I bought some, sprinkled it around the mounds and it appears to be working better than I have seen anything do in 5 years. I'll check it out again this weekend and give a report after a week.