Rotary Cutter Best way to get stump jumper & blades off rotary cutter?

/ Best way to get stump jumper & blades off rotary cutter? #11  
How about just carry a hack saw. It won't clear your cutter, but you can at least cut yourself free from the mile-long tail.

/ Best way to get stump jumper & blades off rotary cutter?
Uh, duh! Just hit me with the obvious. :eek: I was thinking "high tech" like keeping a cutting wheel on the 18 volt DeWalt 4 1/2" grinder or something like that, but was worried that the battery would die on me etc. I think a hack saw would be a bit better...

/ Best way to get stump jumper & blades off rotary cutter? #13  
The cable you picked up was probably "Guy Strand". I have manufactured many thousands of miles of it, and it is used extensively in the utility fields. It is a lot easier to cut than it's "Prestess" counterpart. The galvanizing lowers the yield strength of the cable.
Instead of cutting it, if you run over it again, try watching for that type of obstacles when mowing. However, if you get it wound up dispite being careful, I would remove the driveshaft, and use the loose end to unwrap the cable by slowly pulling it with the tractor, allowing it to unwrap itself. That is what has work best for me. Barb wire is more commom, and doesn't unwrap as easily as guy strand. The nuts on the bottom of my gearbox often get in the way of the unwrapping.
A hacksaw will probably not be a good idea, since the tensile strenth of guy wire is around 170K.

Good luck,
David from jax

/ Best way to get stump jumper & blades off rotary cutter? #14  
See if your 18" bolt cutters will cut it with lengths of pipe on the handles. I have yet to find anything mine won't cut with handle extensions.

/ Best way to get stump jumper & blades off rotary cutter? #15  
I did all the obvious things. Gear puller, sledgehammer, common penetrating lubricants, acetylene torch. Could not get uniform heat on the collar. The answer (for me) was uniform heat. I used a propane torch used for melting ice from sidewalks and got the the collar EXTREMELY hot and it came off with my gear puller.