Best way to pull up cedar??

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #21  
one thing i dislike trying to get up, under a bush, and wrapping a chain around them. ya end up looking like you been in a cat fight, and the cat won.

I approach them first with the bucket and scrap the baranches off with down pressure ... easier to get to then ... of course I'm not talking about a huge tree.

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #22  
Hey there Dougster and RPW, I'll bet some of the cedars on your places came from seeds from my place, or visa versa. We just cut ours off at the ground. Used to burn them, but now that we are under the "perpetual Burn Ban" we chip them up and sell the mulch.

Attachments

• MapA.jpg
    MapA.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 130
   / Best way to pull up cedar?? #23  
Welding... Thanks for the map showing where Topsey is.. I can sleep better now. lol ,,, our place is about half way between Lampasas and Lometa. Howdy neighbor.
We cut the big trees off at the ground too, most are pushed over using the tractor and pile them up for burning when the ban is lifted, assuming it is ever lifted. Sure could use some rain <sigh> Mulching is a better idea but I lack the time, energy and a mulcher...

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #24  
We made that run up 281 from Lampasas to Stephenville twice in the last week and it looks really dry. It's just as dry down in the sandhills. Not good at all.

Pray for rain.

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #25  
I am not familiar with the cedars in TX., but have had considerable experience with KS. cedars. Most, if not all, the cedars in KS will die if cut off below the bottom green limb. I wouldn't want to pull them if they are thick, You will have a place that looks like a mine field that have exploded. If the ground is not going to be used for ag purposes. Shearing or sawing at ground level seems to be the best solution. I use a skid steer mounted saw that loves cedar trees after it has been into our osage orange and thorny locust. My saw will cut below ground level but pulls harder with dirt involved. Probably need to apply some chemical to the cedars stumps that have a tendency to resprout. Stump applied chemical does not require much volumm.

My saw is manufactured near Topeka Ks. I have used it for about 5 yrs and it seems to be bullet proof. There is another saw manufactured in OK. that will work on a tractor. I will post the web adress of the saw from OK. There are many more saws available but these are the only 2 I am familiar with. I will be glad to furnish the phone # of the manufacturer of my saw but so far as I know it is not available in tractor mode.

Turbo Saw - Tree and Brush Cutter and Skid Steer Attachments