Best way to remove freeze plug for block heater

/ Best way to remove freeze plug for block heater #1  

sweep

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 TC45A
I have a tc45 and want to put in a block heater. What us the best way to remove the freeze plug. I'm concerned about damaging the block or having the freeze plug fall down inside the block.

I was going to use a screwdriver to tap one corner in and the corner that pops out to grap it with vice grips.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dave

/ Best way to remove freeze plug for block heater #2  
Never tried it but I've heard of drilling a hole for a self tapping screw in the center. Insert screw then pull with vice grips.

/ Best way to remove freeze plug for block heater #3  
sweep said:
I have a tc45 and want to put in a block heater. What us the best way to remove the freeze plug. I'm concerned about damaging the block or having the freeze plug fall down inside the block.

I was going to use a screwdriver to tap one corner in and the corner that pops out to grap it with vice grips.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dave

That'll work.
Let me know which "corner" you tap on :D :D :D

/ Best way to remove freeze plug for block heater #4  
I was just scanning forums and ran across your post. Ok, I have removed lots of freeze plugs which are not freeze plugs anyway. They are core plugs used to close the holes where the sand forms for the water jackets were supported. Trust me, I have personally seen two blocks cracked right through the middle of the core plugs. Anyway, back to your question. I just use a puch and hammer by tapping on the side of the plug. Once the plug makes an opening large enough to place a flat bit screwdriver in, just use it to push the plug toward the opening while continuing to tap. When the plug gets turned about a 45 degree angle, grip the plug with vise grips and pull it out. You can also take the puch and make a notch about 15 mm from the end to catch the edge of the plug. The 15mm that sticks past the plug will keep it from falling into the block as you use the punch to pry against the side of the hole. Be very careful not to hit the side of the cylinder bore because it can dent it.

I just removed 10 core plugs from an engine yesterday using only a punch and vise grips with no problems.

/ Best way to remove freeze plug for block heater #5  
Search on a post by audiski86 for a warning about the new one not fitting tight. How do you link to another thread, anyway?

/ Best way to remove freeze plug for block heater #6  
jimmysisson said:
Search on a post by audiski86 for a warning about the new one not fitting tight. How do you link to another thread, anyway?
Easy.. Go to thread
Right click on address
click
COPY
then paste here
easy
Jim
:)

/ Best way to remove freeze plug for block heater #7  
   / Best way to remove freeze plug for block heater #8  
Thanks, guys, I just forgot.
Jim

/ Best way to remove freeze plug for block heater #9  
I put one in my TC45DA in October. I just drilled a small hole about 3/8" from one edge of the soft plug, used a wood screw in my slide hammer puller. Got it part way out, then had to go to a larger screw, but it came out fine.
Jim Frisby
Palmer, Alaska