Best way to remove freeze plug?

/ Best way to remove freeze plug?
I know that it is hard to tell from the first pic that I posted but that is the freeze plug hole in the block with the plug removed. The round dark spot is where the last guy drilled a little to deep and went into the cylinder sleeve /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I guess it did no harm since I have put 100 hard hours on it with no problems. When I used a hammer and chisel to pound in one side to turn it I could tell at once when it came up against something solid(the cylinder sleeve). I drilled it with the caution of someone who did not want to replace the engine, very carefully. In fact not even all the way through because of the solid surface behind it, but enough to get a small lag screw started to force it out. This plug was new because it was nice and shiny were the others were not so I knew that it had been replaced before.
Still no leaks so I guess it took alright and I will be much happier being able to plug in the tractor to warm it up when it drops below 0 here in Maine.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dave