Best way to sell privately

/ Best way to sell privately
RepoCast (Bryon Center MI) is NOT free for the seller. They charge a minimum of $5.00 to list an item (not sure if large items cost more to list) Then they charge the seller a commission starting at 25% and going down the higher the selling price. Not sure how reserves work. They also hit the buyers 10% up to $999 selling price, 6% over $999. You are allowed to bid on your own items, but if no sale, they charge you a $50 buy back fee.

Good to know. I've only seen this (ORTONVILLE LOCATION: Repocast.com (A Miedema Company) 1/12/2012 - Repocast.com®) link and said nothing about seller fees. Do you have any more info? Have you sold through them before? I browse and have bought but never sold.

Thanks

/ Best way to sell privately #22  
and that's not even safe. many times it can take days to find out a certified check is bad.

a postal money order, at the post office, is about the only way to ensure cash in hand, and no checks..

soundguy

I was thinking if the buyer came with a Cashiers check and we took it to my bank and I asked them to cash it, they would call the issuing bank in the situation of a sale like that and verify it and tell them they were cashing it...then I would get my money...Is it not safe that way ? Thanks..

/ Best way to sell privately #23  
brin said:
I was thinking if the buyer came with a Cashiers check and we took it to my bank and I asked them to cash it, they would call the issuing bank in the situation of a sale like that and verify it and tell them they were cashing it...then I would get my money...Is it not safe that way ? Thanks..

Not necessarily. My bank told me that the buyer's bank could still stop payment even if my bank contacted the buyer's bank to confirm the validity of the check. All the buyer would need to do is claim some sort of fraud and their bank would stop payment. My banker encouraged using a certified check or a wire transfer between the two banks.

I take cash always and keep the buyer's contact info including their vehicle info. If the cash is bogus the Secret Service will be my ally.

/ Best way to sell privately #24  
Not necessarily. My bank told me that the buyer's bank could still stop payment even if my bank contacted the buyer's bank to confirm the validity of the check. All the buyer would need to do is claim some sort of fraud and their bank would stop payment. My banker encouraged using a certified check or a wire transfer between the two banks.

I take cash always and keep the buyer's contact info including their vehicle info. If the cash is bogus the Secret Service will be my ally.

OK - I got it and that make sense...but even with cash you are not safe..I can imagine if someone was paying me cash for something and I asked them for their name, address, phone # etc. If they are up to no good they are going to lie and if you ask them to see their drivers license I can see where they would be right to refuse and say.....Hey, I am paying you cash...I am not going to let you copy my drivers license....that's why I said buy one of those Counterfeit detection pens like they use in the stores...

But are we not in a sad state now that we can't even trust any form of payment anymore...I am not crazy about giving out my bank acct. # to some stranger to make a wire transfer...Sad !

/ Best way to sell privately #25  
I hear ya.

I bought a tractor out of state one time and had arranged for delivery, and had to wire the money up instead of sending a money order as time was limited, to make it on the truck that was heading down the next day.... I was very uncomfortable doing it, and actually opened a seperate account at my bank for that xfer, dumping in exactly that amount, then later on closing it after the transaction was all said and done... the bank knowing that i was doing it that way, etc. it was to a well established business.. but still.. you never know....

/ Best way to sell privately #26  
I buy and sell stuff all the time. Even big tickets.

Cash is fine, in my book. Not too hip on cashier's checks anymore since it became untrustworthy.

When I sold my Kubota two years ago, the guy coming was a solid guy. That's number one, as best you can ascertain such things. Second, he assumed he should bring cash and he did. Counted it out on the talk gate of his truck.

I really like the idea mentioned earlier about using the bill marking pen. That's a good idea. At some point, you gotta be able to transact business in this country. Deals HAVE to be made and money needs to exchange hands. That is a simple reality. But, the pen is still a good idea. :)

/ Best way to sell privately #27  
How about PayPal? Has anyone used that to make higher priced transactions? That seems like a way to wire money without having to give up the sensitive details about your account.

/ Best way to sell privately #28  
How about PayPal? Has anyone used that to make higher priced transactions? That seems like a way to wire money without having to give up the sensitive details about your account.

Pretty hefty fee? Not sure what the fee would be on a $10K or $20K purchase.

/ Best way to sell privately #29  
I have had great luck selling things in our regional farming paper. You get 2 free ads per month and I've always sold what I've listed. You'll always get a few tire kickers, but that's part of process. As for payment, I'll accept postal money orders or cash. I'll accept other forms as long as the buyer is willing to wait the 3 days or so for item to clear. Beware of any form of complicated payment scheme as it's a scam. If you use CL or ebay be sure to include lots of pics, they will go a long way to selling your machine. Also add as much descriptive info as possible. Include service schedule, tire condition, and what you used the machine for and any quirks the machine may have.
In April I'm going to sell my 231s Massey. Lancaster Farming and CL will be where I start.