Best way to start burn pile

/ Best way to start burn pile #21  
I like to take the sawdust from my chain saw pile and put it in a 5 gallon bucket, then add kerosene, it burns lot longer then you would think and really hot. I have a 5 gallon pail with a lid next to the fire place right now. If you just want to burn brush I would use diesel, I avoid it in the house because the wife can smell it for days, but only at night when i am just about asleep. Then she has to well me about it.

/ Best way to start burn pile
Well, so far I have tried almost everything I have heard (I have not burned old tires due to my proximity to a subdivision about 1500' away). All of these things work well, but I would say you guys should try the carpet padding just once. If you put something underneath it like a chunk of firewood or 2x10 scrap etc, the stuff drips like napalm and with one match, you light the corner and walk away.

This has not let me down yet, and I am looking forward to trying it out as an easier way than newspaper to start my wood burning stove this winter.

What ever works for everyone, but I thought this worked pretty slick. Good luck and keep the fire in the pile and not on you!

/ Best way to start burn pile #23  
I never thought of old carpet padding. I thought it was left over denim and clothing that was ground up. Guess not, eh? Wonder how I am going to get out of my house if it is on fire. Would think that code would make sure this stuff is not flamable.

That said, we use to take a 4" metal pipe into a large pile of brush. Did not have a leaf blower but use a shop vac that could run in reverse. Diesel and a weed burner.

Carl

/ Best way to start burn pile #24  
I vote for used motor oil (1 or 2 gallons) and a healthy dose of cardboard boxes (with foam peanuts helps alot). Properly placed, the cardboard boxes will get hot enough to get the used motor oil going.

And the most important ingredient...a tractor with a FEL to push the pile over the hot spot you have created.

/ Best way to start burn pile #25  
I use a propane weed burner, works great. And just found a new use for my leaf blower:D

/ Best way to start burn pile #26  
Gasoline, we light this with bottle rockets from 25 yds. Looks cool too.

/ Best way to start burn pile #27  
I can't believe no one mentioned my favorite excuse for cooking myself a steak. Charcoal...

I take the hot coals and toss them into the pile. Wet or dry wood, it all goes up shortly. No need for oil or tires.

Plus I get to enjoy a delicious steak :D

Doug

/ Best way to start burn pile #28  
Scatter a thin layer of hay or straw in the pile as you build it. Starts right up and the flames go through the pile fast. If it is thick the hay in the middle does not burn. I also use the fire starters at times I get at Walmart etc. Basically wax impregnated sawdust. Usually just a 1/3 or a 1/2 will get a fire going. But the hay starts faster and gets the pile going faster

/ Best way to start burn pile #29  
Believe it or not, used dryer sheets. Burn hot and medium quick. Especially after cleaning off any dusty video screens!

Recycle, reuse!!

/ Best way to start burn pile
I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed all of these replies! I am also quite surprised no one has chimed in about pollution!

Keep'em comin