Best ZDDP engine oils???

/ Best ZDDP engine oils??? #31  
Skyco said:
I think you may mean roller lifters. No such thing as a roller cam AFAIK.
Yea, its not technically correct, but when you say a roller cam, it implies roller lifters that run with it. Cams are ground with different lobes based on the lifters they are designed for.

/ Best ZDDP engine oils??? #32  
True enough...read up on them some last night...the terminology is a little screwy calling them roller cams IMO;)
Sort of like >peanut oil- comes from peanuts >coconut oil- comes from coconuts >olive oil- comes from olives > baby oil- uuuhhh I don't want to think about it:eek:

/ Best ZDDP engine oils??? #33  
Foothill Rancher said:
When CJ-4 first came out I remember reading a post where DieselPower felt that the new rated oil was far better than anything before, now that it's been out awhile and we're hearing alot of different stories, I'm curious does he still feel the same way. Not that we can do alot about it but I do value his opinion.

I have lots of customers that are using the newer CJ-4 engine oils with 0 problems. The main people I "physically" see not "hear" that have problems are the high performance street rod/hot rod guy's. They have very high lift radical cams that have much higher lifter to cam pressure than a standard engine will ever see in it's life. When you run a performance engine you need to run premium lubes. The average Joe isn't going to see any more wear problems than he did before, they should actually see less with CJ-4 oils.

Bottom line in my eyes is if your concerned about the additive package in newer S category oils in your older classic cars and trucks use a C category diesel rated oil. It will have more robust additive package than the S category oil does.

/ Best ZDDP engine oils??? #34  
It is exactly this flat tappet non roller cam lifter problem that sparked my original question.
I do have some older flat tappet engines and I have seen very serious damage to cams recently, well after they were well broke in.
I also am concerned with my diesel non roller valve train AND my injector cam also non roller. This has got to be of some importance in selecting engine oils. The failures I have seen are with Royal Purple and Mobil1 both had always performed perfectly in their past formulations.
I have been running Mobil Delvac1, BUT I understand that the zinc additive pack has been reduced or will be eliminated soon in it. KennyV.
Mobil manufacturers DEO for Caterpillar, and CI-4 DEO is still available thru Cat in 1 gallon, 5 gallon, and 55 gallon containers.
Also, IF you are wanting an additive that you can add to CJ oil to help protect a flat tappet (slipper camshaft) You can purchase a small can of Cat Camshaft and Follower assembly oil. Just add some at every oil change then yo can run either CI-or CJ rated oil.