Bestco EFG135 Flail mower

/ Bestco EFG135 Flail mower #1  

okhams

Tractor
JD 4300 Hydrostatic, $WD
I wanted to comment on this mower, since I bought it new in May, 2023. I use a 2001 JD 4300 Hydrostatic tractor with front assist. It is 32 HP.

The flail mower works fine, but there have been some problems along the way. When I purchased the mower, I ordered an additional set of belts and 6 hammers. The belts were missing, as was the PTO safety cowl and the owners manual. It didn't take long for the company to resolve the missing items issue.

I added the 80W-90 oil to the reservoir, but it doesn't take a full quart like the manual says, so it overflowed.

The PTO safety cowl does not fit the unit while it is in the offset position. I don't think it is even the correct cowl since the holes don't really line up.

The original belts burned off on the first day. I have operated units like this before, so I was careful about making sure everything was up to snuff before mowing. I made sure that the ground speed was slow and that the RPM's were at 540. Glad that I ordered extra belts. Oddly enough, those belts were a different manufacturer and have not worn at all since I installed them.

Another issue is the belt replacement. The owners manual is absolutely no help. It doesn't describe the process for belt replacement and the picture in the manual is useless. The belt tightening bolt is too long, so it just barely tightened those belts. I had to cut off 1/2" so that I can re-tighten when the belts stretch. Another possible problem is that the new belts are probably a little too long and will not tighten properly when they stretch. I can't tighten them any more because the mechanism is at it's maximum.

Beware that the PTO is quite short, so it you need a long reach, you'll need to replace it.

I think that this item will be just fine - just understand that it might take some tinkering to get it right.

• Good Post
Reactions: HEC
   / Bestco EFG135 Flail mower #2  
I have an FH-AGL165, and I also shredded belts on the1st day, the set screws came undone on the pulleys within the 1st two hours of use. Cross referenced a Napa industrial belt B38 that was 21/32x41 that has worked VERY well ever since. I've got 25h on my mower now.