bet ya didn't know

/ bet ya didn't know
Realistic hydrogen power?
Magnesium and hydrogen are made into a paste under pressure and heat. An ester and a metal salts is added and the resultant paste will react with water in a chamber releasing the hydrogen for use as a fuel.
The reaction also extracts the hydrogen from the water used to begin the reaction.
The paste is stable up to 250 C

The paste, pound per pound, holds ten times the energy as a lithium battery weighing the same.

If used for vehicles the potential range is greater than a gasoline engine. But it is currently more costly than lithium-ion batteries.

Faunhoffer had a plan for a facility to be complete by 2021 for commercial production. Dunno if it's up and running.

/ bet ya didn't know #3  
making a paste out of HYDROGEN must be a lot like sending a fellow off to get a shelf stretcher or some prop wash....

/ bet ya didn't know #4  
We used to produce a crude form of hydrogen by putting some water (1/2-3/4 cup) in a coke bottle...roll up some aluminum foil balls that will fit in the bottle but hold enough air to float...Add some lye (a couple of tablespoons +/-)...
...put a balloon over the bottle top and it will fill with gas a majority of which is hydrogen...the balloon will rise if tied and released...touch it with a lit cigarette and you'll never do it again...!!

/ bet ya didn't know #5  
When I worked in the lab, I heard a small explosion coming from our storage room. I went in, and found a jar of powdered metal (I forget what kind now, think maybe iron) that had shattered and made a mess. The consensus was that it had taken on moisture, formed H2 gas, and blown the jar apart, more than likely from pressure as opposed to a chemical explosion.

/ bet ya didn't know #7  
Two key words in the hydrogen production always seem to be "pressure" and "heat." Both can be a major expense in the process. Coke bottle hydrogen sounds like fun.

/ bet ya didn't know #8  
they are doing it.
My quick review indicated that they treated the reduced Magnesium metal with Hydrogen gas under heat and pressure, and the Magnesium reacted with the Hydrogen to give a solid (or a paste). When the Magnesium/Hydrogen paste is contacted with water (H2O) it releases all of it's Hydrogen plus an equal amount of Hydrogen from the water.

/ bet ya didn't know
My quick review indicated that they treated the reduced Magnesium metal with Hydrogen gas under heat and pressure, and the Magnesium reacted with the Hydrogen to give a solid (or a paste). When the Magnesium/Hydrogen paste is contacted with water (H2O) it releases all of it's Hydrogen plus an equal amount of Hydrogen from the water.
Yah. Pretty cool. I hope I live long enough to drive a hydrogen powered truck.

/ bet ya didn't know #10  
Apple seeds contain cyanide.