Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!!

/ Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!! #51  
In my experience, towing products are the most widely abused items on the road with improper trailer loading and running height being the most common issues, along with using balls of a lower rating or not having a rating marked at all. Also not having a spare trailer tire or the equipment to change it; I think most of us see these folks on the side of the road often. I have also experienced a tow dolly incident that had old automotive rated tires on it instead of trailer rated , towing a SUV and being stuck in the middle of nowhere at O dark thirty on the side of a highway.

One day on the way home and in a bit of a hurry, I was following behind an older truck towing a classic 60s car on a trailer. We were going down a long hill and they were going slower than I wanted. I started to pass about the time the trailer made a twitch to the left. As I backed off and got further back, the trailer started twitching a bit more and I knew the guy was headed for trouble. It did not take long for the trailer to start swaying all over the road and they lost it a few seconds later and rolled onto the rigs side and landed next to large tree. I went back to check on the folks and the driver was cussing about just got the car out of the paint shop....

I have no idea what the exact cause of the accident was but suspect the truck was underrated for the load, with the trailer either not having working brakes/brake controller or the driver not knowing how to handle the situation.

I suspect that there wasn't enough tongue weight, that would cause swaying like you describe when going downhill and if the trailer brakes were surge type (or not working, or if the driver didn't use the brake controller to pull the trailer straight) that would tend to make it worse...

Aaron Z

/ Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!! #52  
Quote: "Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!!"

I'll bet I'm not. I use a solid steel, forged ball mount rated for 1500 pounds tongue weight and 15,000 pounds trailer weight. And the 2 5/16" ball is rated for 20,000 pounds with the nut torqued to 400 ft. pounds. And I pull with a one ton Ram.

/ Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!! #53  

I'll bet I'm not. I use a solid steel, forged ball mount rated for 1500 pounds tongue weight and 15,000 pounds trailer weight. And the 2 5/16" ball is rated for 20,000 pounds with the nut torqued to 400 ft. pounds. And I pull with a one ton Ram.

Me too!
But we are the very rare.

/ Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!! #54  
My ball mount is one piece forged steel rated 12k. The 2 5/16 ball is also rated for 12k. Trailers are equipment and dump, both rated 10k.

/ Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!! #55  

When was the last time you checked/charged/replaced your 12V break-away battery?

/ Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!! #56  
Uh oh.....here we go again!

/ Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!! #57  
When was the last time you checked/charged/replaced your 12V break-away battery?

Replaced every 3 years and kept charged with a solar panel. And tires are every 5 years or less if I notice a problem.

/ Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!! #58  
Lot's of great discussion guy's i didn't even know they made a clamp on hitch system for cars, tractor buckets yes, but cars???:eek: what were our forefathers thinking, however they did with what they had and i think this seems to be at a time when only one family car per family was the norm. Keep up the discussion i'm learning and so is some newbie member out there that has never towed a trailer before. Thanks again

***and then there's this learning curve..... but possibly could have been prevented by checking the weights on things...........

RV wipes out, totaled, only 2 minutes after couple buy it - RV Travel

The bumper clamp on hitches I remember were most robust that the hitches that come on trucks now and the bumpers were very sturdy, you could lift the whole back of the car with a bumper jack. Nothing like today's cars where the bumper is flimsy.

My Dad came by Saturday and I noticed he had clipped something with his truck, scratching rear fender and bending bumper. I asked him if he wanted me to straighten the bumper and he said how, I grabbed it and twisted it back near perfect first try.

I got rear ended with a full size van back in 70s when I was driving a 64 fairlane. I was going slow after pulling over for ambulance, but he felt he could go full speed. It pushed my Ford up on the sidewalk, only left a small scratch on my bumper. Scared me, but no damage done.

/ Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!! #59  
I got rear ended with a full size van back in 70s when I was driving a 64 fairlane. I was going slow after pulling over for ambulance, but he felt he could go full speed. It pushed my Ford up on the sidewalk, only left a small scratch on my bumper. Scared me, but no damage done.

The first day I got my '72 Jimmy I pulled out in front of my boss coming into the driveway from a side access. His Jetta received $1700 worth of damage (this was in 1986) and we couldn't see where he hit my front bumper.

/ Bet Your Towing Illegally!!!!! So Check Your Balls!!!!!!! #60  
I rarely come here. But to reply to all of the responses...I tow a LOT. For those up grading your trailers please look into "combination plates" they are becoming the law of the land for those of us towing over 10k trailers. Additionally, without a doubt the first thing a cop will ask to see is your "Med Card" ( known as a DOT physical) which is a cursory physical of sorts and sight/hearing test. Many chiropractors do DOT physicals, about $90 and good for two years. NEXT, you'll need DOT numbers for the side of your truck (fuel logs, etc), safety triangles, fire extinguisher. If they pull you over you better know EXACTLY where these items are (they can fine you if don't know, proves you did NOT do a pre-trip inspection). Some may ask to see your log book, YES, your log book! Anytime you get above 10k trailers (except an RV) yo uopen up a WHOLE lot of worms!!!. Yes, over do it on the balls, hitches, etc.... BUT the weakest link is ALWAYS, ALWAYS the trailer tires. I run nearly ALL 8 bolt 16" tire in a "G-series" full steel cased tire. The are like tractor trailer tires, high pressure (100 psi) and NO SQUIRM! Straight as an arrow. They are expensive...ever blow a tire with a load....NOT FUN! Run good tires! . Anti sways are OK....I have used them I'm the past, usually at a camp I worked, we trailered behind 11 passenger vans, BIG safety concerns. I have driven to Mexico City 4 times, and all across Canada and the US pulling trailers for that camp. Most on the last 10-15 years was for myself and hauling logs, lumber, machinery. My suggestion is to go with ONLY as much GVW rated trucks and equipment as you need. Keep the traielr under 10k and the truck not over 15k ... otherwise you violate the "magic"number of 26k...at which point even empty without a class b/c CDL your looking at $600 fine. I could go on for hours a out tieing down loads. Suffice it to say, all four corners, PLUS buckets have there own. The four corners HAVE to be separate systems...even if you could cut the chain between them and nothing happens, that still is NOT a separate system in the eyes of the law. .....be safe out there. R