Betstco Flail Missing Parts And Very Poor Quality Control.

/ Betstco Flail Missing Parts And Very Poor Quality Control. #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
The flail came the other day. Packaging was ok but there were minor issues.
They steel strap it right over the top so the strapping wears away the paint.
PTO shaft box is also under the strapping so the PTO shield is crushed by the strapping and now is deformed. Hopefully a few days in the sun will help it recover.

The real issues start with assembly. The manual is about useless for assembly and operation.
One issue which is probably minor is that the upright for the top link is off center when compared to the two lower arms and to the input shaft on the gear box. I can see it could be off set compared to the gear box but it really should be centered when compared to the lower arms.
So that means the top link either is pointing to the left or to the right depending on how you mount the upright.
Any forward or backward movement of the top of the upright could cause binding where the top link attaches to it.

One big issue to me was the hardware included.
First is there were no washers. The bolts go into oversize holes and the contact area for the bolt head is at the very outer edges of the head. Ok, so I bought a bunch of washers.
Next is the bolts were not a consistent length. Some are a quarter inch shorter than others. I thought maybe they go in a specific place but every place a bolt goes is the same.
This means with the bolt fully tight, no washers, the end of the bolt doesn't protrude through the end of the lock nut thus defeating the purpose of the lock nut.
Lock nuts. They use cheap half height lock nuts that strip out with little effort.

So now it is off to the store to get all new bolts and lock washers.
Really disappointed in all of this and it isn't even running yet.

Sorry for the rant but $2400 implement and they don't even send adequate hardware.

/ Betstco Flail Missing Parts And Very Poor Quality Control. #2  
I hope when you get all the problems behind you , it performs well. I like bolts and washers from Tractor Supply. By the pound - Grade 8. Best Wishes.

/ Betstco Flail Missing Parts And Very Poor Quality Control.
I hope when you get all the problems behind you , it performs well. I like bolts and washers from Tractor Supply. By the pound - Grade 8. Best Wishes.
I like TS also but order online is cheaper for quantity!
Just ordered all new bolts, lock nuts and washers from McMaster-Carr. High strength and corrosion resistant so we'll start replacing all of them next week!

Does the top link on yours go to one side rather than being centered between the lower draft arms?

/ Betstco Flail Missing Parts And Very Poor Quality Control. #4  
interesting, which model did you purchase? I have an EFG-175.
Yes the manual is not really clear on assembly, but not too difficult. On mine the three point is somewhat offset, and can be offset even more by using the other attachment holes, but in either set up the top link is still centered between the lower arms.
As for operation, I have been happy with the results. It shreds everything. I've run it over 1 1/2 inch brush with no issues. It would be nice if the rear gate lifted for maintenance. Too bad you received a bad bag of hardware.
I've had mine for two years. So far been worth it.

interesting, which model did you purchase? I have an EFG-175.
Yes the manual is not really clear on assembly, but not too difficult. On mine the three point is somewhat offset, and can be offset even more by using the other attachment holes, but in either set up the top link is still centered between the lower arms.
As for operation, I have been happy with the results. It shreds everything. I've run it over 1 1/2 inch brush with no issues. It would be nice if the rear gate lifted for maintenance. Too bad you received a bad bag of hardware.
I've had mine for two years. So far been worth it.
I have the EFGC-155. Kind of wish I had gone with the 175 but since it will mostly be on a Deere with 25HP PTO I was talked into the 155. My other Deere is 30 PTO HP.

Thank you for the input. Yes, the three point lowers are offset a bit and that is fine and if I mount the top link support toward the non-belt side the top link is straighter but still canted to that side. Mount the upright as in the directions and it is really bad.
Assembly just takes some tinkering but what is really missing in the manual is belt tightening details, leveling and again you can get it figured out but they don't even tell which hole to put the top link in and heights for the different positions of the roller and skids.
I found most of the operational items in the manual to be basically useless.

I found out why these burn up belts so fast when new. As mentioned by several youtubers the belts on mine are very loose.

I do look forward to it working well. Pretty skeptical at the moment but operation remains to be seen.

And the hits keep coming.
Manual says approximately 3 quarts gear oil. Just start on the second quart and now I have gear oil everywhere.
Yes, I should have been watching the check hole but when they say 3 quarts you really aren't expecting it to be full with just one quart.

Oh yea, and the fill plug is cross threaded so you can only turn it in about a turn before it just spins due to stripped threads.

Last edited:
   / Betstco Flail Missing Parts And Very Poor Quality Control. #7  
Most of the assembly is common sense. Assemble loose and adjust as needed. You can overtighten any lock nut.
Belt adjustment is common sense, they need to be tight but not overtightened. Adjusting cut level is different for everyone.

I have the FH-EFG175. had it 4 years now and still works perfectly.
I did have a couple questions and called their tech support. They Answered the phone promptly and answered questions quickly.

I am guessing you didnt start with them first.

They have no control of what happens during shipping as far as how the mower was handled. Some scratches and parts do move. Did they refuse to help you or make adjustments for the damaged parts? Did they answer your hardware questions?

Also TBN has several threads on flail mowers and have asked and answered any questions brought up.

Youtube has several videos of people adjusting their flail mower height and adjusting the mower to fit the tractor.

You might owe them an apology if you havnt used them first. They make a great product for the price. They stand behind their products and tech support has always been helpful. Any implement has the possibility of being damaged or lost parts when shipping is involved.

/ Betstco Flail Missing Parts And Very Poor Quality Control. #8  
yes, it takes less oil.
yes, the belts are not great.
I had no problem assembling and all hardware was there.

Mine was missing the shield, emailed them and it showed up within the week.

Have done some rough trails and lawn with no issues, does a great job.
Have the HD 48"

Most of the assembly is common sense. Assemble loose and adjust as needed. You can overtighten any lock nut.
Belt adjustment is common sense, they need to be tight but not overtightened. Adjusting cut level is different for everyone.

I have the FH-EFG175. had it 4 years now and still works perfectly.
I did have a couple questions and called their tech support. They Answered the phone promptly and answered questions quickly.

I am guessing you didnt start with them first.

They have no control of what happens during shipping as far as how the mower was handled. Some scratches and parts do move. Did they refuse to help you or make adjustments for the damaged parts? Did they answer your hardware questions?

Also TBN has several threads on flail mowers and have asked and answered any questions brought up.

Youtube has several videos of people adjusting their flail mower height and adjusting the mower to fit the tractor.

You might owe them an apology if you havnt used them first. They make a great product for the price. They stand behind their products and tech support has always been helpful. Any implement has the possibility of being damaged or lost parts when shipping is involved.
Yes I have talked to them. Took a while to get to someone. Most of what I got was "gee that should be like that".
The damage was from some oversights in packing. Steel straps on the painted surfaces is going to cause issues. The paint is worn off the top of the main body due to the straps rubbing on it.
Parts were not lost other than missing washers but they are simply wrong or not suited to the application. Bolts are not long enough and are not a suitable size.

I watched several videos to try and determine how others had set theirs up and found most did not match the manual which I have now found out is way out of date and has incorrect info such as fluid volume.

I know it is not a high end flail but still $2400 is a lot and to have so many "little" issue that simply should not happen is really disappointing. It is just poor quality control.

yes, it takes less oil.
yes, the belts are not great.
I had no problem assembling and all hardware was there.

Mine was missing the shield, emailed them and it showed up within the week.

Have done some rough trails and lawn with no issues, does a great job.
Have the HD 48"
Thank you for the encouragement on it working well. I had high hopes but really pretty disappointed at this time.