Better engine oil filter for my Kubota L5040?

/ Better engine oil filter for my Kubota L5040? #1  

bilrus61

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota 4200
I have a new Kubota L5040 and I'm going to do the first change in the engine oil soon. Went to my dealer and the Kubota oil filter is made in Indonesia and dosn't look up to the quality of the Japanese/American filters that I used on my previous Kubota tractor. What other brands of filters can you reccomend that would fit this tractor. It has the same filter as the MX 5100 also. Thanks for any response!

/ Better engine oil filter for my Kubota L5040? #2  
First, I will only use a Kubota HST filter, because they aren't available, by anyone for my 'Bota.

For the oil filter, you certainly can get a good quality, no, excellent quality oil filter, made here in the US.

Part # B7152
Hastings/Baldwin. Hastings Filters.com

Looks like they have all your filters.

I understand FleetGuard are also excellent, highly respected filters. Some guys also like Wix who markets at NAPA and other places as well.

/ Better engine oil filter for my Kubota L5040? #3  
It would be very hard to see the quality of a filter without cutting it open. The things that count are the filter median, the types of possible bypass and the seals used within.

The fancy can that it comes in does little to show the quality of within. Kind of like a book and it's cover!

/ Better engine oil filter for my Kubota L5040? #4  
If your tractor is new you had better find out if using other than original equipment products will affect your warranty.Your warranty is very important if you have problems in the future.My Kubota Dealer informed me that I must use Genuine Kubota Parts or risk voiding my Warranty.Now that I'm out of Warranty I use Napa filters.I think all manufacturers use the same standards for manufacturing filters and all can cross reference them for you.Food for thought? :thumbsup: Scotty

/ Better engine oil filter for my Kubota L5040? #5  
If your tractor is new you had better find out if using other than original equipment products will affect your warranty.Your warranty is very important if you have problems in the future.My Kubota Dealer informed me that I must use Genuine Kubota Parts or risk voiding my Warranty.Now that I'm out of Warranty I use Napa filters.I think all manufacturers use the same standards for manufacturing filters and all can cross reference them for you.Food for thought? :thumbsup: Scotty

Oft stated. Almost entirely fabricated. No way. Now, if and it is a big if, a non OEM filter is the cause of the issue, sure, Kubota will deny. But, if it is reputable filter maker, their own warranty kicks in. Wix, Hastings, etc all have an engine replacement warranty should their product prove to be the culprit.

Might not be as easy, might be easier to get a settlement from Wix or another maker. Not the point.

The internet would be flooded with horror stories of Wix, FleetGuard, Baldwin/Hastings failures. Why isn't there? Because the incidents of such failures are statistically so rare as to be inconsequential.

An OEM is not allowed, by law, to make such a requirement. Your dealer/salesman ought to know better. Shame on him for making the statement, unless you interpreted his statement in this fashion.

How many GM cars rolling around have Delco filters on them? How many Chryslers have Mopar filters? How many Hondas have a Honda filter on them?

Darn few.

I like OEM filters, oil and other products, please don't misunderstand. But, this kind of propaganda is flat wrong. Dealers can and should sell their filters on their merit, not on baloney and fear tactics.

/ Better engine oil filter for my Kubota L5040? #6  
I'm not arguing the fact that aftermarket filters are less than the O.E.M. filters.Yes,you are correct in the fact that the dealer informed me if Warranty repairs needed were directly related to the failure of non O.E.M. filters then repairs could be denied.However to aviod all the hassles associated with going after a third party for Warranty claims if "and thats a big if "something of this nature did arise would'nt it be simpler to just use the O.E.M.filters until the warranty is up.That was the point I was trying to get across to the OP? Scotty

/ Better engine oil filter for my Kubota L5040? #7  
Yup, your point is taken. Many folks do stay with OEM during warranty period for precisely that reason.

Nonetheless, it is not necessary. Neither dealers nor OEMs can base their warranty on the use of OEM branded filters or fluids. That's the law.

The statement quoted by your salesperson is typical. It was phrased in such a way that intentionally leaves the impression that OEM fluids/filters are required, for warranty retention. That is simply wrong.

Selling these maintenance supplies is a part of any dealer's business. Understood.

Many, many, many dealerships have multiple tractor brands. The shop freely uses a NH product on a Kubota or a Kubota product on a Massey, etc. I don't blame them a bit.

/ Better engine oil filter for my Kubota L5040? #8  
From the Magnuson-Moss warranty Act...

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name

This means I don't have to use their filters (although I do for now).

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act can be found by Googling. One of the sites that had it was Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

/ Better engine oil filter for my Kubota L5040? #9  
If you buy an OEM filter, you'd get a warranty.
If you buy a top of the line Baldwin/Hastings,Wix, Fleetguard you'd get a warranty. You are covered either way.

In the very, very unlikely event that one's oil filter causes engine failure, one needs a warranty. Your chances of getting hit by lightening twice is probably higher, but still, a warranty is a good thing.

Those reputable filter makers stand behind their products. It's their life's blood. They don't make junk and wouldn't last long in the market if they did, or did not stand behind their products.

Millions of over the road trucks and off road heavy equipment owner/operators service Billions of dollars worth of diesel equipment with filters. This is a huge market, world wide. There is an enormous amount of testing done.

The OP's original question was this. "Can I get a better filter?" In all likelihood, the answer is quite likely. The question, for him, and for many others, is not the bogus warranty issue. So, that OEM filter, made in Indonesia or China. What are the odds anyone can find the data on it?

THAT (quality) question is harder is answer. I too would like to see more scientific, independent testing done on some of these OEM filters versus the top drawer industrial filter makers as to quality. I'd also like to see more published data.

It is disconcerting to pay top dollar for an OEM filter that visually appears to be quite suspect and is made in low wage, exotic places. It just is.

/ Better engine oil filter for my Kubota L5040? #10  
We have cut many filters apart looking for types of contamination. We have seen filters that do to their design they are not able to really even begin to filter! We have compared the factory filters to after market filters and have found many quirks to say the least. Filter medians totally different, uneven pleating, and other flaws with bypasses.

For many filters you might never know the difference as to if they are good or bad. We have found brand new filters that restrict flow to much and even name brand filters! We found this with fuel filters while tractors were on the dyno.

You probably will never see a filter cause an engine go bad, but it might help it!