Better to buy old industrial tractor or Ag tractor?

/ Better to buy old industrial tractor or Ag tractor? #1  

BrokeFarmerJohn

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 5555, John Blue G-1000, Massey Ferguson 98, John Deere GP
I’m thinking about selling my 2005 JD 4320 for an older and less expensive alternative to knock out some debt.

I know I am going down in tractor, I know I’m looking at 2wd tractors and mine is 4x4. It’s not that kind of discussion.

I have my eye on a Ford 340B industrial tractor and a JD 2510 with loader.

My question is stick to an industrial model or go row crop tractor with loader.

P.S. I really like the construction yellow on a tractor lol.

I have my eye on a few Massey industrial’s with the Perkins diesel.

I really liked the 440 JD industrial because it’s a 2 cylinder, BUT the one that was close has no 3pt or PTO, so that’s a no.

Chores for the tractor is moving round bales, gravel driveway work, minimal dirt work. That’s about it, maybe later some bush hog work and tillage. I like that the industrial tractors sit lower also. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks

John

/ Better to buy old industrial tractor or Ag tractor? #2  
340B is a great choice. Hydrostatic power steering, heavy duty loader. Probably configured with independent PTO and 3 point.

/ Better to buy old industrial tractor or Ag tractor?
340B is a great choice. Hydrostatic power steering, heavy duty loader. Probably configured with independent PTO and 3 point.

It’s one of the only older tractors that I found, has as heavy or heavier loader than my 4320. It’s kinda heavy too.

The ford 3000 or 4000 was a even cheaper option, though they don’t have as heavy of loaders.

/ Better to buy old industrial tractor or Ag tractor? #4  
When we first bought our remote property back around 1989, I purchased a very used 70's International 2500b tractor loader with somewhere over 4000 hours on it. It was an industrial tractor with permanent loader and a 3pt hitch. 4 cylinder gas engine. 50pto hp. HST transmission with 2 speed range selector. 2wd. Draft control. Locking rear diff. Split brake pedals on right foot. Split directional pedals on left foot. Throttle under steering wheel like a normal tractor, but also a foot accelerator pedal on right foot. Full cab. Loaded tires. Larger than stock FEL lift cylinders. It weighed about 8000#.

It was a low boy, meaning you had to straddle the transmission tunnel with your legs. You sat down real low in it, and it was very stable on slopes.

Being an industrial machine designed as a loader, it was very heavy duty on the front end.

I did a lot of work with that machine. It was very reliable. The only thing I recall going wrong with it was the gear stripped off the distributor shaft. We did all the major tasks at our place, like cutting in a road through a hillside from the highway and back into the property, excavating the roadbed a foot down about 10' wide and 400' back. Then excavating gravel on site and spreading it 6" thick in the roadbed. And again to spread many truckloads of steelmill slag 6" on top of the gravel. Excavated the area for a garage/barn. Ran a 5' brushhog for about 5 years to mow between the rows of our tree plantation until the trees got too large to let the machine fit down the rows. Also ran a 6' box blade.

All-in-all, I'm glad my farmer friend talked me into an industrial machine VS an AG machine for those tasks. Once all the large tasks were done, we bought our little PT425 Power Trac, and that machine has done all of the maintenance work ever since. The IH sat idle for quite a few years and we finally decided we'd never need it again, so we sold it.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still go the same route, given the budget at the time. There's some decent machines out there, but if they're being sold, there's a reason. They might be beat to near death. If you're good at repairs, it could be a good choice.

/ Better to buy old industrial tractor or Ag tractor? #5  
I am no expert, but I see no significant downside to the industrials. Both of the larger tractors I have are yellow, a Ford 4400 and a Case 685. Both have beefier front ends than the Ag models, and I think both have cast oil pans. I did run into a slight hassle with anchor points on the rear of the Ford being in un-conventional places, and I chalked it up to it being designed to accept a backhoe, but it was a minor issue to work around, and I remain delighted with both machines. I think the industrials end up being a little cheaper, but I'm not sure that there is any rational reason for it.

Almost everything in my shed is yellow, I guess I like it too :).

/ Better to buy old industrial tractor or Ag tractor? #6  
When we moved down from Alaska in 1982 I looked for used industrial tractors. They were all too large - Ex - JCB & JCB Fastrack, 300+ hp - and even being used they cost a fortune. I had a local contractor construct my mile long driveway and excavate for the house foundation. For the first 27 years I used a brand new Ford 1700 4WD for the on-property projects. I upgraded to my Kubota M6040 in 2009.

Even now I don't think I would want to try constructing a mile long gravel driveway.

"A man has got to know his limitations" ( "Dirty" Harry Callahan )

/ Better to buy old industrial tractor or Ag tractor? #7  
Everything is case by case. A vast majority of the tractors in the size you are looking had industrial counterparts.

You specifically mention Ford 3000 or 4000 but loaders aren't as heavy. Well, look at the industrial versions of those. 3400, 4400, etc.

But it all comes down to tasks. Industrials have heavier front end because they aren't made to be adjustable. 3ph and PTO were options and not always found on industrials. Industrials we're usually heavier too so not good for field or mowing work. And their loaders weren't designed to come off (at least not as easy)

I personally wouldn't trade the reliability, comfort, and convenience of a modern machine for something that likely has thousands of hours and can nickel and dime you to death or constantly be fixing something just to get it running.

But what are the numbers you are thinking? How much do you think you can sell the 4320 for vs what you owe? And what is your budget for old iron?

/ Better to buy old industrial tractor or Ag tractor? #8  
Everything is case by case. A vast majority of the tractors in the size you are looking had industrial counterparts.

You specifically mention Ford 3000 or 4000 but loaders aren't as heavy. Well, look at the industrial versions of those. 3400, 4400, etc.

But it all comes down to tasks. Industrials have heavier front end because they aren't made to be adjustable. 3ph and PTO were options and not always found on industrials. Industrials we're usually heavier too so not good for field or mowing work. And their loaders weren't designed to come off (at least not as easy)

I personally wouldn't trade the reliability, comfort, and convenience of a modern machine for something that likely has thousands of hours and can nickel and dime you to death or constantly be fixing something just to get it running.

But what are the numbers you are thinking? How much do you think you can sell the 4320 for vs what you owe? And what is your budget for old iron?

I bought a 16 year old 1300 hour Ford 3400TLB thirty three years ago (49 years old now in 2019).
Best tractor decision I could have ever made.
It was for my personal use, and has paid for itself many times over, by allowing me to do my own property work.
Had it completely refurbished 3 years ago, and it looks like new (1850 hrs.).

Sadly, I have now decided to sell (will go on E-Bay) my wonderful old 3400 buddy.
Two weeks ago, I decided on a 36 year upgrade.
I bought (lotta $) a 2006 original owner Kubota L48, with 250 hours!
Why? Because I am closing in on my 79th birthday, it was just too sweet to pass up, and and I wanted it!
The 3400 Ford will now go,...... and I know I will miss it.

At my age, I know I will use the L48 very little, but I will ENJOY having it!

Last edited:
   / Better to buy old industrial tractor or Ag tractor?

I owe 13k on the 4320. I can sell it for 24-25k somewhere in there and my budget for old iron would be $8000 or less. I would consider a little more $$ for old iron but not much, much more than $8000 and it almost wouldn’t be worth doing.

Could I survive without a tractor? Yes, I originally planned to sell the 4320 and go tractor less for a few years. Now I’m considering buying some old iron, so I’m not out anything by selling the 4320.

If I constantly have to work on it, that wouldn’t be any good nor if it broke down when I needed it regularly. I have had no problems out of the 4320 in the two years of ownership. I have kept up on the maintenance.

/ Better to buy old industrial tractor or Ag tractor? #10  
If you sell it for $24K and pay off your $13K, that leaves you $11K ahead. So a decent used machine and a few repairs and you'll have a machine and $0K owed. One less debt to worry about. :thumbsup: