Better to idle the tractor or turn it off?

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #41  
Have you ever been around a truck stop they idle those engine's for days at a time.
Like the man from Detroit Deisel pointed out- The drivers aren't paying for the fuel or the wear on the engines...

The ones coming here are ALL owner drivers !

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #42  
Quite a few states prohibit extended idling at truck stops nowadays...

Well I guess we will just stop farming because most of my cow's FART and that will most likely offend some tree hugger or kill us .
Idling a deisel has been done for more than 50 yrs and as of yet I don't think one person has had a three headed monkey or a wife that can't talk.
So just keep on protecting the environment by not idling a deisel engine and we will all be in the poor house togeather.
By the way have you ever seen a deisel engine smoke when started up.
I don't see how in the world we have all survived this long with all this UnGODLY pollution !!!!!!
By the way I live about 3 mile's from a truck stop I am going to run out and check the wind " You just can't be to safe".

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #43  
Well I guess we will just stop farming because most of my cow's FART and that will most likely offend some tree hugger or kill us ...

Sarcasm doesn't help your credibility...

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #44  
Have you ever been around a truck stop they idle those engine's for days at a time.
Like the man from Detroit Deisel pointed out- The drivers aren't paying for the fuel or the wear on the engines...

Yep all those independent driver's just pull-up and filler up for nothing :D !!!
And it's a crying shame that most of those deisel engine's only have about a 1,000,000 miles on them wonder how many farm tractor's will ever see that many mile's :laughing:

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #45  
A quick check revealed Roy is right about laws restricting idling; not much info on regulating cow flatulence, though I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #46  
Well I guess we will just stop farming because most of my cow's FART and that will most likely offend some tree hugger or kill us .
Idling a deisel has been done for more than 50 yrs and as of yet I don't think one person has had a three headed monkey or a wife that can't talk.
So just keep on protecting the environment by not idling a deisel engine and we will all be in the poor house togeather.
By the way have you ever seen a deisel engine smoke when started up.
I don't see how in the world we have all survived this long with all this UnGODLY pollution !!!!!!
By the way I live about 3 mile's from a truck stop I am going to run out and check the wind " You just can't be to safe".

Sarcasm doesn't help your credibility...
Roy, it may not help his credibility, but it sure was FUNNY! :laughing:

I hesitate to add any more "fuel to the fire," (pun intended) :D but just for clarification purposes, I own/operate a semi truck. It is a '95 Kenworth with 1.1 million miles. I pull a dump trailer, and mostly haul crushed stone. I know the other O/O's that I haul with pretty well. (about 25-30 rigs) Most of the time, our rigs are started in the wee hours of the morning and don't shut down until we get back home. (we all pay for our own trucks and buy our own fuel)

Also, most fire department vehicles run from the time they leave the station until they return, even if it's all day.

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #47  
Everyone has an opinion. You have to decide who is right.
Here is my two cents worth: diesel motors do not take heat as well as gas engines; i.e., when you turn off your diesel the engine temp will go up a bit before it cools off. If you have turned it off for only ten minutes you have probably built up more heat than you have dissipated. Personally, I would let my engine idle for the ten minutes. It has to be longer than that before I shut it down. Fuel consumption is irrelevant compared to the cumulative damage to your motor.

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #48  
Roy, it may not help his credibility, but it sure was FUNNY! :laughing:

I hesitate to add any more "fuel to the fire," (pun intended) :D but just for clarification purposes, I own/operate a semi truck. It is a '95 Kenworth with 1.1 million miles. I pull a dump trailer, and mostly haul crushed stone. I know the other O/O's that I haul with pretty well. (about 25-30 rigs) Most of the time, our rigs are started in the wee hours of the morning and don't shut down until we get back home. (we all pay for our own trucks and buy our own fuel)

Also, most fire department vehicles run from the time they leave the station until they return, even if it's all day.

Yep Bigfoot62 it was ment as a jokre but it is hard to get a smile here in this forum. Can't we all just get along!!!:laughing::thumbsup:

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off?
So we're about half and half I would say. Why I'm getting is its basically up to the operator of the tractor and what he wants

/ Better to idle the tractor or turn it off? #50  
So we're about half and half I would say. Why I'm getting is its basically up to the operator of the tractor and what he wants

That's exactly right...when it comes to your tractor, you are the expert...
(that applies to all of us, BTW)