Beware of "pro-mix 2-cycle"

/ Beware of "pro-mix 2-cycle" #21  
i think I'd be calling lowes or pro mix and asking what type of saw they were going to buy me...

soundguy

/ Beware of "pro-mix 2-cycle" #22  
My XL and Super2 owners manual states that its 16:1 ("8 oz. oil to 1 gal of gas regardless of the ratio given by the manufacturer of the oil". Page 16).

No "gasohol" either.

You have to take in consideration when those manuals were written and what oil was available at the time. What was written 30 years ago, even though the right thing at the time, may not be gospel today.

I agree about the gasohol though. If you haven't rebuilt your carb and replaced your fuel lines in the last 10 or 15 years, the alcohol might rot the seals and lines.

Ian

/ Beware of "pro-mix 2-cycle" #23  
you do relize that the ratio is oz of fuel to oz of oil.

so 50:1 is 50 oz of gas to 1 oz of oil

same is true for 40:1 32:1 or gasp 16:1

so for a 1 gallon mix

2.6 oz oil for 50:1
4 oz for 32:1
4.3 oz for 30:1
5.2 oz for 25:1
8 oz for 16:1

i take 2cycle oil and mix the number of oz i need to the fuel i have per the actual proportion (aka 32:1) F what the d@mn bottle says. EPA will not be responsible for killing my "good" old 2cycle equipment (although thats exactly what they are trying to do to get them out of service)

I have a mix bottle that has graduated marks on it for all the common mix ratios for the amount of gas to use. I use it even for one gallon of the chain saw mix, so i dont rely on that little bottle and the side marks etc. I have it for my premix outboard, so that i can mix say 6-10 gallons at the time and to pour out of a gallon jug into it.

/ Beware of "pro-mix 2-cycle"
i think I'd be calling lowes or pro mix and asking what type of saw they were going to buy me...

soundguy

Yeah, good point. The problem with this saw is not being able to replace the piston and cylinder again.

With the Stihl saw I always used the Stihl pre-mix. On this Homelite saw I always used to run Golden Spectro Synthetic blend at 6 Oz per gallon because I had this high quality oil for my old CR500 off road bike, and never had a problem in over ten years.

I would have added the whole bottle of "Pro-Mix" to the gallon of gas I had if I had known it would seize the engine to follow the bottles instructions.

P.S. In customers saws that have been rebuilt I always used that same mix of 6 Oz per gallon. The newer saws would run rich but that's fine. I always ran my other saws rich too, since I don't have a problem with smoke personally. I baby most of my equipment as well. Most of my equipment even if it's old is clean and very, very well maintained.

From the time I was 10 years old I was taught to take care of equipment that way, 30 years later and it just kind of stuck with me.

/ Beware of "pro-mix 2-cycle" #25  
that sounds like a 'their problem' not a 'your problem' as for the parts. Times are hard on companies that mae sucky products that ruin perfectly good equipment... I'd still lay the problem on them and see how they were gonna fix it.

soundguy

/ Beware of "pro-mix 2-cycle" #26  
My self i like the little 2.6 oz bottles weather im doing one or two gallons it's very convenient for mixing.

i buy the the STIHL 6 packs for around under $3 and that lasts me a wile,it's a full synthetic oil seems like good stuff I'm a synthetic guy so i don't run anything less.

manual says 50:1 nothing leaner!

/ Beware of "pro-mix 2-cycle" #27  
i have a 1g can that I devote only to mixing. currently a poulan wood shark is the only mixer engine I have, so I just use the lil packs that are pre-set for 1g of fuel.. pop them in and go.. has the stabil and all in them.

soundguy

/ Beware of "pro-mix 2-cycle" #28  
i have a 1g can that I devote only to mixing. currently a poulan wood shark is the only mixer engine I have, so I just use the lil packs that are pre-set for 1g of fuel.. pop them in and go.. has the stabil and all in them.

soundguy
Yes the STIHL brand oil has stabil added also another added benefit, forgot that one.

/ Beware of "pro-mix 2-cycle" #29  
especially since I may gass up for a job.. use it 20m, then put it up for a few months till needed again..

soundguy

/ Beware of "pro-mix 2-cycle" #30  
Yep same here...