BH65 Backhoe

/ BH65 Backhoe #1  

Doppleganger

Tractor
kubota B2620
Hi All,
I have a B2620 with a number of 3 point attachments (PHD, BB, RFM, SB, etc...). I have decided to buy a BH65 backhoe for it and have come across a good used example. Before I bring it home, I have a question. Will the 4 point mount get in the way of the 3 pt and limit me in any way for the other attachments I use on a regular basis? I don't want to be restricted in any way switching back and fourth between the backhoe and other 3pt attachments.

Any insight is appreciated.

Dan

/ BH65 Backhoe #2  
It has not on my 2920...at least not yet with a tiller, grading scraper, and post hole digger...I'll be using a 3PH snowblower later this year and it doesn't seem to interfere with that, either.. It is slightly (and I do mean slightly) inconvenient to remove the hitch to mount the backhoe, but overall not a bad job. My first time was about 45 minutes, but removing the hitch was about 3 of those 45 minutes.

/ BH65 Backhoe #3  
hello Dan
I also have a B2620 c/w bh65, I have not experienced any problems between the sub frame mount and 3ph attachments. I use a Back blade, ballast box, RFM, RSB, PHD, Wallenstein wood chipper, bush hog
I would suggest that you have a level area when removing the bh65, this will assist in the reinstalling procedure.

/ BH65 Backhoe
Thanks for the replies fredhargis and canada kubota! Thats great news. Have you both been happy with the performance of the BH65? any shortcomings which I should be aware of? I plan on using it for small projects around the property.

Dan

/ BH65 Backhoe #5  
Thanks for the replies fredhargis and canada kubota! Thats great news. Have you both been happy with the performance of the BH65? any shortcomings which I should be aware of? I plan on using it for small projects around the property.

Dan

I have to admit I haven't used mine very much....the BH may truly turn out to be the "toy" in the stuff I bought. That said, the few I have used it (same as you, just small stuff around the property) it has been more than adequate. Consider getting the mechanical thumb as well. I've dug out some out concrete posts and such and it was really a back saver having the thumb.

/ BH65 Backhoe #6  
Just a FYI - I have a 16 inch bucket with my BH65 and I feel it matches the B2X20 perfectly. So you may want to seriously consider that in your purchase. I also have a thumb and although its nice I am shocked I havent used it as much.

I have zero problems with any restrictions with the mount however in my estimation the biggest PIA on the on off of the BH is the removal of the 3 pt linkage.

I love my BH - I threw all my shovels away :)

/ BH65 Backhoe
Glad to hear that no one seems to have any regrets with it. The one I am looking at has a 16 inch bucket. Thanks for letting me know it is a good size jambx. I wasn't sure if I would have to downsize to a 12 inch or so. Does the hoe throw the tractor around much or is it a stable when digging?

I plan on getting the thumb but thought I would try it without first and get a feel for it. The thumb looks like it could be very useful.
Dan

/ BH65 Backhoe #8  
Doppelganger,

I'm really happy with my BH65 but I wouldn't want to be trying to make money with it.....A great thing to have around the homestead and strong for it's size.....

Easy pull off and on......arms on 3ph takes more time than the BH as others have said.....

I have the mechanical thumb which is good enough for me.....great for logging and small boulders......

I have the 12" bucket but the area I'm in is full of rocks (NH Potatoes) so a larger bucket for BH would be tougher to dig with here .......

Here's some pics of earlier projects.....

Attachments

• springtractorpics 002.jpg
    springtractorpics 002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,192
  • tractordigs 001.jpg
    tractordigs 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,741
   / BH65 Backhoe #9  
A couple more....

Attachments

• tractordigs 017.jpg
    tractordigs 017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,073
  • springtract 003.jpg
    springtract 003.jpg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 2,133
   / BH65 Backhoe #10  
Glad to hear that no one seems to have any regrets with it. The one I am looking at has a 16 inch bucket. Thanks for letting me know it is a good size jambx. I wasn't sure if I would have to downsize to a 12 inch or so. Does the hoe throw the tractor around much or is it a stable when digging?

I plan on getting the thumb but thought I would try it without first and get a feel for it. The thumb looks like it could be very useful.
Dan

As for 12 vs 16 - it can go either way. I too have a lot of bones (rock) and hard clay but after using a 12 inch in my BX I decided I wanted to be able to displace more dirt with each grab. I dug a bilco basement door out and the 12 inch bucket felt like it took forever.

As for throwing the tractor around - no and yes. Most BH can do that easily.

I transplanted some blueberry bushes last year - one scoop is all it took! Lots of fun er work. Dug a 400 foot trench 24 inch does (electrical) with ease.

On annoying thing on mine (and others agreed) the BH linkage makes a very wicked rattling sound - I mean really loud. I know of one forum member took his time, took off the control cover and zip tied the entire internals. You would think for the money we pay this would not be a issue. Maybe they corrected it on the newer ones.

Good luck!

Attachments

• P1010292.JPG
    P1010292.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Copy of DSCN0435.JPG
    Copy of DSCN0435.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 681
  • Copy of DSCN0437.JPG
    Copy of DSCN0437.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 826