Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size
Honestly, if you use your tractor for other 3PH stuff....Id consider a mini-excavator. While not difficult....swapping the backhoe on and off is about an hour ordeal for someone that does it infrequently. And as affordable as a used 17-class is, and can always resell....not a bad deal
Great info there, especially the backhoe would be as capable but not as fast. It seems like a struggle finding anything reasonable in my area but if I drive 4-6 hrs away there's options.

How noticeable is the arm and bucket force between models in a class, does it pay to go for something like the tb216 to gain the power or wouldn't really notice over a u17 or 17g?

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #12  
Yes - LD1 posted some very good and valid info on the mini ex size and capabiltiy vs a tractor BH.

Really depends on your ground and what you are doing between the U17 to the TB216 - Both will work well and out dig the tractor BH.

If you are doing this as a business get the bigger machine as time is $. If you dont need the speed or digging depth or planning to do a lot of stump work the 1,7 ton unit will do the job just a bit slower. Also the smaller the machine the more "tippy" it is and some have extendable tracks that alleviate some of this.

You can find many Chinese excavators on ebay - claimed 4000 LB with Kubota diesel for $12K or less. They may claim 4K but are likely 3500 lbs. or 1.7 ton and if you are working around your place and not commercially they are a good deal, but if you resell in 2 years expect to lose 40-50%.

Vs the Kubota U17, or TB216 those will run you 15-30K with a few 1000 hours on them, but the upside is when or if you sell you won't lose much in resale value.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #13  
Great info there, especially the backhoe would be as capable but not as fast. It seems like a struggle finding anything reasonable in my area but if I drive 4-6 hrs away there's options.

How noticeable is the arm and bucket force between models in a class, does it pay to go for something like the tb216 to gain the power or wouldn't really notice over a u17 or 17g?
Not much real world difference between the different brands of the same class.

Paper specs are just paper specs. If a u17 cant or wont do something....a deere 17g, cat 301.7 or TB216 wont do it either. There are fan-boys of every manufacture....those that are color blind and say one is better than another. But its a Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument.

IF you are considering a 1.7t mini at all....I'd first suggest simply renting one for a day. In my area, that would be about $200-$300. And money well spend before you drop $15k on a machine. Just get a feel for the "size" and if you can live with it or think you want bigger.

Also consider what you have to haul/tow. A 17-class is simply a half ton and 7k trailer. But a 7k trailer is at its limits with a 26/27 class and a no way for a 35

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #14  
   / Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size
Also consider what you have to haul/tow. A 17-class is simply a half ton and 7k trailer. But a 7k trailer is at its limits with a 26/27 class and a no way for a no way for a 35
That's part of my dilemma, it's almost hopeless to kind a reasonable deal in my area, if anything at all. So I'll have to drive 4-6 hrs. I have a 10k trailer but my silverado is rated 9100lbs max towing. The 26g I was looking at is 6hrs away, loaded would be around 8300 lbs. Doesn't seem like that's a great idea but I'm sure it's possible.

17 class would be around 6500 lbs so no problem.

Speaking brands, I've heard mixed reviews on bobcats. I've heard parts are expensive but from looking online they were less than deere or kubota. The e20, on paper, is better than the rest as far as arm and bucket force, digging depth and reach. Is there any reason to avoid them?

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #16  
That's part of my dilemma, it's almost hopeless to kind a reasonable deal in my area, if anything at all. So I'll have to drive 4-6 hrs. I have a 10k trailer but my silverado is rated 9100lbs max towing. The 26g I was looking at is 6hrs away, loaded would be around 8300 lbs. Doesn't seem like that's a great idea but I'm sure it's possible.

17 class would be around 6500 lbs so no problem.

Speaking brands, I've heard mixed reviews on bobcats. I've heard parts are expensive but from looking online they were less than deere or kubota. The e20, on paper, is better than the rest as far as arm and bucket force, digging depth and reach. Is there any reason to avoid them?
Parts are expensive for all of them. I wouldnt say one is more than the next.

I have a bobcat, I see no reason to avoid.

Do you use facebook marketplace? I see them come and go everyday. I am always browsing but usually looking at the 35-50 class machines.

But lately the market seems flooded with the Chinese imports

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #17  
I’d rather have a clapped out name brand excavator over a brand new China one. They’re complete garbage from everything I’ve seen.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #18  
   / Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #19  
I rented this little guy because it fit in the space where I needed to work…

Attachments

• E5191377-A9B3-42CC-BF46-960B88F8B526.jpeg
    E5191377-A9B3-42CC-BF46-960B88F8B526.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 49
  • 3E7A756A-3415-46B7-B851-128305BE30EF.jpeg
    3E7A756A-3415-46B7-B851-128305BE30EF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
   / Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #20  
The little 1ton i bought is suprisingly well built. At 5grand it was worth trying. If i was looking for a 3ton and up, i would buy used name brand.