Big Brother's Watching

/ Big Brother's Watching #11  
Yep, that is just google. It shows my address about 3 miles away from where it actually is.

And I dont like google anyway for my house. The image is from 2006. So about 7 years old without updates. But about 3 miles south of me, it has updated, and I can clearly see my big ford 5500 backhoe at my parents which I just got last summer.

For my area, bing is the most current map. Judging from my property, it was taken early last summer, or late in 2011, but still way better than google.

/ Big Brother's Watching #12  
I almost never use Google for anything anymore; much prefer Bing. Although I used to really like Google; maybe some day I'll change back.:laughing:

/ Big Brother's Watching #14  
I used Google earth when I was working in Nigeria to measure the Warri Port area that we where going to rent space in to set up a piping fabrication yard. In order to estimate a budget for the rent, I did it via measurement with Google Earth while zoomed in and got all the measurements I needed to figure the area. Amazingly it was within a 3 feet of the actual ground measurement in any direction when we got a crew out to survey it. The satellite view was very helpful in using it to lay our our planned laydown area. I haven't used any other sites enough to see what they are capable of. Flashearth has more updated photos than last time I used Google Earth but I didn't find any measurement tools on the free site. I cant get Google earth to download on Windows 8 so there must be some interface problem with the new windows.

/ Big Brother's Watching #15  
I have a new hobby on Google Earth.... I go around looking for old railroad round houses and turntables. Surprisingly, there are many still in use. And I like the historical view. Some places go back well into the 90s. You can guess where a roundhouse foundation should be in a rail yard, but it isn't there. Move the history slider back and you can see the foundations covered with dirt, ballast, trees and brush grown up, etc... very cool.

/ Big Brother's Watching #16  
Flashearth uses bing maps or yahoo maps (which in my area are identical to bing, just poorer resolution)

I keep checking all of them, hoping they will update to show my pond that was dug last july.