big bucket on a compact tractor

/ big bucket on a compact tractor #11  
I'm sorry sonny, but I still don't agree with ya. Earth is way heavier than snow. I clear snow in the winters when the mine is shut down. Our snow buckets are about twice the size of our dirt buckets. A cubic yard of road base is about 1400 lbs. I've never weighed one, but I would guess that a cubic yard of snow is probably half that. The thing about farm tractor buckets and loaders is, they really aren't made for digging. They do loose material real well. Cobs, gravel, etc. Even topsoil that has been sitting for a couple weeks may be too hard. As for the OP, I would recommend the 6' bucket, but keep the other for wintertime:D or, if your handy with a torch and a welder, make it the size you want.

/ big bucket on a compact tractor #12  
A cubic yard of road base is about 1400 lbs.

Are you sure:confused2:

I am not sure what exactally "road base" is, but dirt/earth weighs closer to 2500lbs

/ big bucket on a compact tractor #13  
The tires are loaded and I tried moving some cement road blend with the 7'
bucket being carefull not to fill the bucket and going real slow and it was
difficult to keep the rear tires on the ground when I stoped . I have ordered
a 66"bucket but i am betting it will still have the same problem.Have you ever
considered rear wheel weights?

No. I'm used to it now. I pay a lot of attention to it when I've got the bucket filled. I could put some cement blocks on top of the box blade if I wanted to.

/ big bucket on a compact tractor #14  
either way snow ways a heck of alot less than earth, gravel, etc...we use snow buckets here too..heck look at the pushers on front of the tractors that clean the mall parking lots....yes they are not buckets per say but when they are piling it they are still lifting weight...

/ big bucket on a compact tractor #15  
Are you sure:confused2:

I am not sure what exactally "road base" is, but dirt/earth weighs closer to 2500lbs

I call road base the 0 to 3/4 inch crushed limestone. It packs really well.
That would weight at a mininum 130 lbs per cubic foot to 145 lbs per cubic foot. so 27X 130= 3510 lbs to 3915lbs per cubic yard. depending on the density of the limestone and how well it was packed. Maybe we are not talking about the same thing here.:confused3:

Just found some other figures for crushed limestone at 94 lbs per cubic foot. so 27X94=2538.. so it may vary quite a bit by area or how much is limestone and how much is flint rock.. Don"t. know..

James K0UA

Last edited:
   / big bucket on a compact tractor #16  
That would weight at a mininum 130 lbs per cubic foot to 145 lbs per cubic foot. so 27X 130= 3510 lbs to 3915lbs per cubic yard. depending on the density of the limestone and how well it was packed. Maybe we are not talking about the same thing here.:confused3:

Just found some other figures for crushed limestone at 94 lbs per cubic foot. so 27X94=2538.. so it may vary quite a bit by area or how much is limestone and how much is flint rock.. Don"t. know..

James K0UA
They are probably accounting for air spaces when it is not packed. 100#+ is too easy to pass up for a workable approximation. Thats what Im going to use.;)
larry

/ big bucket on a compact tractor #17  

James K0UA

They are probably accounting for air spaces when it is not packed. 100#+ is too easy to pass up for a workable approximation. Thats what Im going to use.;)
larry

Either way, the OP is talking about "road base" weighing 1400lb/yd. which is a bit light for anything I'd call "road Base".