Big Bud Tractors Resurrected

/ Big Bud Tractors Resurrected #41  
Last I checked I haven’t seen or smelled any brown smog in US cities like I used to see in the 1970s. And that’s good for us even if China’s air requires people who live there to wear masks to breathe.
Keep in mind that like the balloon thing, prevailing winds carries that smog here...

/ Big Bud Tractors Resurrected #43  
Better local air quality but, the global emissions still affect everyone, just not locally like in the past.

Personally, the Chines coal power plants to me are the biggest thing I see hurting global air quality. They are striving to beat the poor air quality the USA had in years past, only on a much larger scale!

/ Big Bud Tractors Resurrected #45  
Everyone needs to think or worry about water and air quality. Tractors also need to built for fuel efficiency, which helpes them throw less garbage out.

/ Big Bud Tractors Resurrected #46  
Everyone needs to think or worry about water and air quality. Tractors also need to built for fuel efficiency, which helpes them throw less garbage out.
For someone that don't even farm, you are quite the naysayer.

/ Big Bud Tractors Resurrected #48  
Cast in India last time I checked... Thank the EPA for that They basically put every grey iron foundry out of business with their emissions mandates.
I once read an article about the plant in china that cast CAT blocks, it rather disgusted me that CAT was casting motor blocks in china!

SR

/ Big Bud Tractors Resurrected #49  
The Big Bud tractor brands seen more or less used since there creation but they never really died out. The reason they were built was wheat farmers in the high plains of Montana have a short time span between planting of winter wheat and snow and needed BIG machines to get it in asap. The implements they used back then were also custom wide for that purpose. But as with many machines, other farmers seen them and said "hey! I think we could use that as well" and they spread to a few other states. Nonetheless, the company who built them is long gone anf folks are keeping some of them up.

--------------------- from wiki--------------------------

Big Bud 747​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Big Bud 747

A Big Bud 747 at work

A Big Bud 747 pulls a 69foot FRIGGSTAD chisel plow across a field in Central Montana. A Big Bud 540 with an air drill follows on the next pass.

The Big Bud 747 or 16V-747 Big Bud is a large, custom-made farm tractor built in Havre, Montana, in 1977. It has 1100 horsepower. It is billed by the owners and exhibitors as the "World's Largest Farm Tractor".[1] It is about twice the size of many of the largest production tractors in the world, depending on parameter.[2]

History​

The first two Big Bud tractors out of the Havre, Montana plant were the 250-series and were purchased by Leonard M. Semenza of Semenza Farms in 1968 located between Fort Benton, Montana, and Chester, Montana on his 35,000 acre farm. The 747 tractor was originally designed by Wilbur Hensler[citation needed][3] and built by Ron Harmon and the employees of his Northern Manufacturing Company,[1][4] at a cost of $300,000.[4] It was made for the Rossi Brothers, cotton farmers of Bakersfield[1] or Old River, California.[4] It was used there for eleven years; it was then purchased by Willowbrook Farms of Indialantic, Florida. Both farms used it for deep ripping.[1]

In 1997, after a period of disuse, it was purchased by Robert and Randy Williams,[5] of Big Sandy, Montana, within 60 miles (97 km) of where it was built. It was used on the Williams Brothers' farm in Chouteau County to pull an 80-foot (24 m) cultivator, covering 1.3 acres (0.53 ha) per minute[5] at a speed up to 8 miles per hour (13 km/h).[1]

The United Tire Company of Canada, which made the tractor's custom 8-foot (2.4 m) tires, went bankrupt in 2000, partially contributing to the decision to stop using the tractor for regular work in July 2009,[4] and to move the Big Bud 747 to museums.[5]

After its work on the farm, it was displayed at the Heartland Acres Agribition Center in Independence, Iowa. In 2014, the Big Bud 747 was moved to the Heartland Museum in Clarion, Iowa, on indefinite loan from the Williams Brothers; the museum constructed a separate shed for the tractor in 2013.[5]

On July 14, 2020, the Big Bud's original eight-foot tall construction tires were replaced with Goodyear LSW1400/30r46 tires (which are slightly under seven feet tall),[6][7] with new rims provided by the Williams Brothers to fit them. The new tires brought the width of the Big Bud to just over 25 feet.

The Big Bud 747 returned to the Williams Brothers farm near Big Sandy, Montana, in September 2020, where it worked farm ground once again with an 80-foot wide FRIGGSTAD chisel plow.[8]

Statistics​

General​

• Height: 14 feet (4.3 m) to top of cab[1] New tires are about 1 foot (0.30 m) shorter than original tires lowering height several inches.
  • Length: 27 feet (8.2 m) frame; 28 feet 6 inches (8.69 m) to end of drawbar
  • Width: 13 feet 4 inches (4.06 m) over fenders; 25 feet 6 inches (7.77 m) over duals[clarification needed][1]
  • Wheelbase: 16 feet 3 inches (4.95 m)[1]
  • Tires: 8 feet (2.4 m) in diameter;[1] 39.6 inches (1,010 mm) in width;[4] (38 x 35 16 ply duals)[citation needed]
  • Weight: 95,000 pounds (48 short tons; 95,000 lb) shipping weight;[1] over 100,000 pounds (50 short tons; 100,000 lb) when 1,000-U.S.-gallon (3,800 l; 830 imp gal) tank is full;[1] 135,000 pounds (68 short tons; 135,000 lb) fully ballasted[4]

Tank capacities​

Engine​

Last edited: