Big John (JD 4600) is getting a little brother

/ Big John (JD 4600) is getting a little brother #1  

DennisFolsom

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4600, John Deere X380
For quite a while, I have been researching Zero Turn mowers online. However, I have concluded that a Zero Turn would not be best for my property, due to some tricky sidehill areas and ditches. Since 2012, I have been mowing with a Craftsman (Husqvarna) with a 24 HP BS and a 46 inch deck. This rig has served me well, but I wanted to upgrade to something a bit more heavy duty. I mow about 3/4 acre of mostly rough lawn.

I had pretty much talked myself into a JD X384 (23 HP Kawasaki, 48" deck, and 4 wheel steering). However, the 4 wheel steering adds $1,000 to the price and has smaller rear tires than the X380 with the same engine and deck. My home is within a 45 minute drive of 4 JD dealerships, though 3 of them are really the same company.

I stopped in at the one independent dealer today and and talked with them about the different models and availability. All of the X series machines at their shop were sold already. The dealer advised against the 4 wheel steering models due to complexity and lack of availability. He did have two X380's scheduled to arrive near the end of July and an X390 scheduled to arrive in August. (The X390 has power steering and a hydraulic lift, but costs a lot more.) He said that almost all of the X series machines are sold before they arrive. I decided on the X380 and put down a deposit. I asked about a discount for cash, but the response was that they are not discounting. They are selling all they can get at list price.

Since I already have a JD 4600, that one will be "Big John" and the new X380 will be "Little John".

/ Big John (JD 4600) is getting a little brother #2  
Congratulations on being an Expectant papa :)

/ Big John (JD 4600) is getting a little brother #3  
If you don't mind me asking, what dealer did you buy from?

/ Big John (JD 4600) is getting a little brother
Chad Little Outdoor Power Equipment in Brunswick, Maine.

I have downloaded and read the Operator's manual about 3 times and and have watched every video I can find on YouTube about the x380 or similar tractors. I have also read the reviews on the John Deere site and on Green Tractor Talk, back to 2017. I still think the x380 is about the sweet spot for my use.

I guess you could say I'm anxious to get my new toy. Only about a month left before it is due to arrive! Meanwhile the old Craftsman is still serving me well. I don't really NEED a new green mower tractor, but I WANT one! I can afford it, so why not? At 75 years of age, why put it off?

Tomorrow is the big day!

I got a call from my sales guy at Chad Little this afternoon. My X380 has arrived and is ready for me to pick up tomorrow! That is a month sooner than he had projected! Wow! In these days of shortages and supply chain problems, I had expected it might be later than projected.

My grandson is going with me to get the new tractor tomorrow. I am glad I got the trailer all checked out and ready way early.

/ Big John (JD 4600) is getting a little brother #7  
That's awesome, you guys are going to have fun; I don't know how old your grandson is, but a tractor dealership is solid entertainment for a child. 😂

We, obviously, expect pictures!

That's awesome, you guys are going to have fun; I don't know how old your grandson is, but a tractor dealership is solid entertainment for a child. 😂
This is my oldest grandson. He just graduated from high school and starts the Mechanical Engineering program at University of Maine this fall. Yes, this will be a great Grampa and Grandson activity. He just mowed one of his mother's hayfields today with her TYM 494 (with air conditioned cab), so he is getting some tractor experience.

I will definitely post some pics.

Little John is home! Here are some photos:
Made it home.jpg

Made it home - about to unload
Joey tries it.jpg

Joey tries it
Grampa_w_new toy.jpg

Grampa with his new toy
A-beauty.jpg

Ain't he a handsome lad?

/ Big John (JD 4600) is getting a little brother #10  
Ayuh, that he is. You look quite satisfied with your purchase, that's always good to see!