Big mortar job

/ Big mortar job #11  
I respectfully disagree, though I'm probably thinking worse case, the mortar in a stone foundation is definitly structural.

As far as the foams adhesion to the stone, yeah if the stone was perfectly clean the foam would stick better. But that benefit is negated by it's minimal compression strength compared to cured cement, the stones would move the least when properly bedded and joined in cement mortar, when exposed to frost/ ground movement effects.

Like I said I may be blowing it out of proportion, and OP may be just talking about cosmetic repairs. Also I'm a little biased since I make a good part of my living patching things up with cement

I respectfully bow to your opinion,, :)

/ Big mortar job #12  
I respectfully disagree, though I'm probably thinking worse case, the mortar in a stone foundation is definitly structural.

As far as the foams adhesion to the stone, yeah if the stone was perfectly clean the foam would stick better. But that benefit is negated by it's minimal compression strength compared to cured cement, the stones would move the least when properly bedded and joined in cement mortar, when exposed to frost/ ground movement effects.

Like I said I may be blowing it out of proportion, and OP may be just talking about cosmetic repairs. Also I'm a little biased since I make a good part of my living patching things up with cement :)

JB.

Foaming the inside of rubble or field stone foundations is pretty much the standard OP these days. It will make a damp dusty unuseable space into a nice warm, dry and mold free basement. It will also significantly cut your heating and maintenance costs in the floors above. A good friend of mine had his century home done, and it really transformed the house.

/ Big mortar job #13  
the white bits are likely bits of Lime from the original mix (typically just sand and lime), nothing to worry about.

/ Big mortar job #14  
Around here old stone foundations are tuck pointed and then covered with closed cell urethane foam. If it were my house I would spray the rubberized foundation coating after it was tuck pointed, making sure it overlapped the footing. Then foam over the coating.

If it's done right the foam will transform a damp cold basement into a warm useable area with no drafts.