Big or Bigger? Opinions Please

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #21  
I'm not familiar with all those model #'s, but it seems to me the only reason you would even need 25 pto hp is to pull that 5' rotary cutter. After you clear that 3-4 acre pasture, which you can easily and quickly do with a 4' rotary, you will only need it when you neglect your mowing chores for a few weeks. I vote for 20 pto hp, 4WD, FEL, approx. 2,000#, and maybe a 5.5' sicklebar mower to maintain that roadway. Forget the chipper, burn it. It takes a big chipper and a big tractor to run it to be worthwhile, and it will work you to death.

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #22  
I know you will hate to hear this, but do what Henro did - get two tractors....really, it is what I did as well. I dont think there is a machine on earth that can do everything well without defying the laws of physics. So there are two choices (from my perspective)

1) Buy a midrange B2910 or similar and do everything with one machine. It will be a little light and small for the road maint. and a little big and heavy for the lawn work. But you will get a lot of seat time.
2) Buy a larger CUT and skip the MMM. The savings of skipping the MMM will allow you to buy a nice used zero turn or a new name brand garden tractor with a 54" deck. It will be nimble, light, and easy to mow close to the house etc. The downside is that you will end up putting a bunch of seat time on the lawn mower, less on the CUT.

I honestly spend more time on my JD lawn tractor than my bigger tractors because I have so much finish mowing with lots of obstacles.

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please
Thanks for the posts everyone.

I thought I had it narrowed down to the NH TC33D, JD 4310, or JD 4410. However, I brought my little woman to the tractor shops with me today (probably a mistake) and she threw a monkey wrench into things. We were at a NH dealer and I was showing her the TC33D. She was immediately drawn to the TC35D, without my prompting, and climbed onto it. She immediately proclaimed that she liked it the best.

I had just finished settling on something reasonable in the mid-size compacts and then she gives the nod to the big boy. She thinks we should start big for the initial landscaping, etc. and then size down later on, if we need to. I find myself agreeing with her but I'm not sure if it's because she is right or because it gives me the opportunity to play on a bigger toy.

Tough decisions my friends, tough decisions!

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #24  
My wife demo'd the 4410 and when another dealer brought the 35D she refused to even get on because it was SO big and u set so high.
This is from a woman that used to work ground w/ a 5020 when she was a kid, which I bring up every now and then.
Well 1 year later and she has mowed the yard a couple times because I couldn't and now she claims it isn't bad at all.
She called me at work the other day and needed the key and which tank to get fuel for it so she could mow, sure surprised me.

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #25  
Neophyte,

Your wife has a good point. You have to be careful however about the sizes of the implements you will get if you plan to downsize in the future.

SethO

SethO,

That's a very good point. If I size the implements to the TC35D, then I may have to sell them when I downsize. If I size the implements to the TC33D, then I can keep them in the event I downsize but I will not be able to use the full potential of the TC35D. Tough call.

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #27  
Neophyte,

You may find that rather than downsizing, that you might buy another small tractor for the grass cutting and other chores where the big one might do damage to your nice grass areas...

Others have done this... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ...might be hard to give up the capability of the bigger tractor once you get used to having it...

Henro,

I like the concept but I don't think I will mention it to the wife since I would like to stay married for a while. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

With that said, I have been eyeing the Kubota ZD Series, GrassHopper and Walker mowers.

My brother tinkers with small engines and always has a spare lawn tractor or push mower kicking around. He has a nice little Cub Cadet he is getting ready for me (older model). I will probably use it for mowing around the house and other tight areas on the property.

Making my world better ... one toy at a time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #29  
Neo,

A TC35 & a ZD, this sounds strangely familiar. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif