Box Scraper BIg Ox Rollover Box Scraper

/ BIg Ox Rollover Box Scraper
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and perspectives. It is very helpful. Here in NE Nevada we are a tad light on options (wish we had TSC for sure), but the internet is our friend!
Bob

/ BIg Ox Rollover Box Scraper #12  
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and perspectives. It is very helpful. Here in NE Nevada we are a tad light on options (wish we had TSC for sure), but the internet is our friend!
Bob

Sometime it turns out to be to be both the most cost- and energy-efficient way to shop.

I just wish that all online vendors were better about updating their inventory listings....

/ BIg Ox Rollover Box Scraper #14  
Here are some photos of this BB before I did anything to it (such as weld on new cutting tips, which I will do tomorrow, weather permitting).

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo99/Elkotrailrider/DSCF3433.jpg
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo99/Elkotrailrider/DSCF3432.jpg
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo99/Elkotrailrider/DSCF3431.jpg

Hi Dingo,

That's surely some heavy steel!! [My BB's Big Big Big cousin- for e.g., mine only has one set of the flanges supporting the scarifier bar front and back.]

Cool that you already have a 2" hitch on there- I ended up bolting mine on a little off-center [the flange is on center, so I had to offset from that and I'm not welding good enough yet to risk my BB].

Where did you end up buying your tips?

Unless they're different from the ones already on there, they're not really welded on, more like heated and crimped at the circular area on the shank [and tip] using a hammer and punch [like a really big nailset, IIRC].

Thomas

Hey Thomas:
Yes, this bad boy is stout, with the side plates being 1/2" thick! I bought my tips at the local Kubota dealer, who had several styles in stock.

Thanks for the tip about the crimping thing. I chose to weld these on because two of the shanks were badly worn. When the tips are worn on those shanks, it will be time to replace the shanks, and then all tips will be crimped as you suggested.

Once I got the tips on today, I found out why the grease fittings wouldn't take grease: the axle is totally rusted to the outside bearing retainer. I shot a can of WD40 on it, pounded like crazy (got about 90 degrees of motion on one, about 30 on the other. If I remove the two bolts on each retainer, I can flip the tool to engage the rippers, but this is not an acceptable method. Not entirely sure of how to proceed from here, except to keep putting penetrating oil on the thing and hope it eventually loosens up enough to pull it apart and clean it up (I seriously doubt that I will find replacement parts, so I have to make what I have work).

On the positive side, I just spent two hours cutting sharp edges off of ditch banks in dense silty clay. The Kubota had no trouble pulling this monster, and because of the extendable lower links, hitching up was a breeze! Just have to get the axle freed up, and it will be a wonderful addition to my implement collection.
Bob

BTW, what I am calling the bearing retainers is the black rectangle with one rounded end next to the Big Ox label in the second photo.