Big ride on mower

/ Big ride on mower #81  
Dont forget that with 4wd and only one axle steering, you tear the grass up when turning tight, because the steering wheels run a wider turn than the fixed axle...

/ Big ride on mower
Dont forget that with 4wd and only one axle steering, you tear the grass up when turning tight, because the steering wheels run a wider turn than the fixed axle...

l hope it dosent do that to badly, l was going to leave the centre diff unlocked to start with and see if it equals itself out, if it does chew the grass up when cornering then this can become a tug for the roller and l will have a go at an artic steer mower next :drool:

/ Big ride on mower
Wow that is quite a change. You should be able to mow real fast with a suspension.

l guess if l was to mow at 75 mph then the cutting tip speed would go up by 75 mph, must be a good thing right ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Big ride on mower #84  
AndyUK said:
l guess if l was to mow at 75 mph then the cutting tip speed would go up by 75 mph, must be a good thing right ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Only on the left side.

/ Big ride on mower #85  

Wouldn't a 75mph wind be hard on the grass:confused3::laughing:

/ Big ride on mower #86  
hello Marcle

the mower is as you describe, a cut down suzuki axle using 2 short shafts on the rear and a front wheel drive car engine and box,
and l do like suzuki bits, nice and light, when l started my little rockcrawler l experimented with all sorts of layouts such as this subaru engine and box midmounted with suzuki axles
sb3.jpg

and whilst a central engine might seem a good layout it dosent work going up hill dose it ? lol

l worked my way through several different layouts on the garage floor including this one with ford diffs and a fwd engine and box
singleseater007-1.jpg

but in the end l came back to an all alloy fwd engine and box and suzuki sj axles, about as light as it comes
RC1003.jpg

rockcrawler3005800x600.jpg

rc8002800x600.jpg

as you can see from this pic the engine and box were pushed well forward to try and keep the nose down
rc51004.jpg

not much room for the passenger but just enough

my pal built one as well
one2.jpg

one.jpg

this vid shows some of the abilities of a transaxle buggy

20090205-040620.mpg - YouTube

Hi Andy,

I see your based up the M5 from me.

I had a look at your videos and noticed the AWDC sticker, looks like the trial scene has moved on tremendously since I used to compete. Mine was the only space frame trialer around at the time (some being used for trials), let alone four wheel steer. The introduction of easy access to the internet has clearly helped to share ideas.

I have a long wheel base 4 door Vitara/sidekick in my orchard waiting for a project, you've given me some ideas, unless I swap it for some thing else.

Clearly you've got a lot of spare time on your hands (envy), good luck with your projects.

Steve

/ Big ride on mower
hello Steve

yes just up the road not far at all,
you sound like me with suzuki's sitting around waiting to be turned into something, l have a pair of lwb diesel vitara's sat here one with a duff engine and one with a duff gearbox, l have a crazy idea that l am going to strip them both then cut the chassis's in half and weld the 2 front halves together to give me 4 wheeldrive, 4 wheel steer and independent suspension all round, then drop a honda vtec in the middle to make a "racer" to go razzing round the fields, the thing that screws the gearing is the vitara diffs at 4.88 to one, however l have been looking at 4 wheeldrive golfs and the rear diff would seem to be in the 1.5 to 1 range which might just be whats needed to "fine tune" the gearing ?

and a couple more mower/tug pics

IMG_6312Medium.jpg

IMG_6317Medium.jpg

cheers Andy

/ Big ride on mower
Wouldn't a 75mph wind be hard on the grass:confused3::laughing:

it would save me collecting the grass cuttings up :laughing:
someone else 3 blocks downwind would have to do it instead :laughing:

/ Big ride on mower #90  
AndyUK said:
it would save me collecting the grass cuttings up :laughing:
someone else 3 blocks downwind would have to do it instead :laughing: