Big Upgrade

/ Big Upgrade #1  

Adirondacker

We recently built a new home on 22 acres of wooded hill side. I have over 600 ft of fairly steep gravel driveway to maintain and needless to say the 16hp cub that used to mow the lawn "ain't gonna cut it". I will be looking to do some landscaping around the house, clearing logging trails and possibly winching cars out of snowbanks in the winter. I have started comparing similar models but the TC33D seems to be the right combination of size and hp for what I need. The 35's and up don't look like they would fit through the hard woods. Anybody in a similar situation or have any insights into balancing these types of needs? Also, any idea when an LA version loader for these models might come out?
Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Big Upgrade #2  
Adirondacker, Welcome to TBN. I have a lot of woods on my 6 acres and that was a big consideration in me choosing the TC33D. I have often wished for more loader capacity but I just couldn't fit the TC35-45 series through my woods without destroying more trees. I have done quite a few remarkable things with my tractor and think I made a good choice.

/ Big Upgrade #3  
Adirondacker,

I'm in the same boat as Spencer, but I only have 5 acres and the loader suits me just fine. I like to the horsepower for the its medium size chassis. It climbs the hills just fine. Navigating trails through the woods can be a challenge with the FEL mounted, but a smaller tractor would have trouble pushing the amount of snow that we had to contend with this winter.

/ Big Upgrade #4  
Adirondacker, when I read the description of your house, land, and driveway, I thought you were describing my property. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just built a house on 22 acres of tree covered hills in Texas. Of course, my trees are oak, but I use my tractor constantly to clear underbrush and push over old and dead timber. I think you will be fine with the 33D, but if you can afford a few more $$$, the Class III Boomers will give you double the lift on the FEL and enough weight to do considerably more pushing and pulling. I have the 45D and there are plenty of times I wish I had even more power. I chose my rotary cutter based on the width between my trees. I can back a 5' cutter between many more trees than a 6' cutter. Also, if I can get my wheels between trees, the cutter will follow easily. I don't have to worry about getting stuck or doing damage to the trunks of trees.

I think you will do fine with the 33D, but on hillsides and for those times when you need more power, the heavier weight and higher power tractors will be handy. I wouldn't rule them out just because they are a little bigger. Good luck with your new house.

/ Big Upgrade
Guys, Thanks for the quick replies. I actually was able to buy property a quarter of a mile down the road from where I grew up and my dad still lives. He has a '58 8N and that size seems to work well. The TC35+ seems to be quite a bit bigger and heavier and I am a little hesitant to jump to that size for the wood work. Is the supersteer option a help or hinderance in navigating through trees with an FEL? Wouldn't the shorter wheelbase of the 33 with Hydro be a little more nimble? Just my thoughts.

/ Big Upgrade #6  
I use my TC35 in the woods all the time.....sure it's got a bigger footprint than a smaller model, but it pulls bigger logs and the loader moves anything! I'm sure either one would be great...and a whole lot easier than hefting logs by hand.

I don't have super steer, but I find clearance over stumps etc more of an issue than tight turns. TC 35 has 14" clearance, old catalogue I have says same for TC 33. Less on the 18's.

Good luck...and hope you can decide and take delivrey soon.

Chas

/ Big Upgrade #7  
Supersteer as far as manuvering through the woods it should not make any difference. I am not sure if there is any difference in height. I have supersteer and I just love it especially for mowing. If you don't do any mowing I am not sure if I would pay the extra money for it.

murph

/ Big Upgrade #8  
Adirondacker, I don't have supersteer, but I have expressed my doubts about its functionality on hillsides. If you are on a hillside which slopes to your left, and at the same time you turn left, your left wheel's axle actually rotates backward and "tucks-in," giving a shorter wheelbase on that side. It also effectively narrows your front end. I don't feel strong enough about this to get into a technical argument, but I don't think supersteer was designed with working on slopes/hills in mind. It will make you turn on a dime on flat ground or in a plowed field, but I think my "pucker response" would go up in the hillside situation. Maybe one day NH will come out with a tractor model where you can turn supersteer On/Off, and that would be ideal.

Since you brought up the idea of steering improvement, I wonder if you remember that on your 8N you had the clutch on the left and two brake pedals on the right side. The ability to use differential braking by locking one rear wheel can make that 8N turn almost like it had supersteer. On the TC33D, your brake pedals are located on the same side as your hydro pedal. It's extremely hard to perform differential braking. On all Class III hydrostatic machines, the brake pedals are on the left and the hydro pedals are on the right. It's a breeze to do differential braking and it will , like the 8N, make your tractor turn on a dime. Also, it is extremely handy to use differential braking to steer the tractor when you are back-dragging with the FEL. When you get your front wheels off the ground or you are on a slope, you can steer your tractor with the rear brakes while you are in motion. I believe this ergonomic feature of the Class IIIs is a strong point in their favor. With 600 feet of gravel driveway, I bet you will have plenty of opportunity to do a fair share of backdragging.

...just some more to think about.

/ Big Upgrade #9  
Jinman,

I agree with you on Supersteer and steep hillsides. I had a tc21d that could not handle the hills at all. So I upgraded to the 29d and got supersteer with it. For my hills I don't have any trouble even using the loader and tucking the wheel in. If you don't turn sharp the front axle does not move much, it is when you make the tight turns that it does move, then again I have not had any trouble. Again I agree with you that it could be trouble and in Adirondacker's case I would not get the Supersteer unless he does a lot of mowing where getting around things is a must

murph

/ Big Upgrade
Have been traveling the last couple of weeks (WI, OH, FL & PA). I am headed to the dealer this Saturday for some test drives. I have been there on a Sunday to kick some tires but I think it's time to get serious. Great points on the separate breaking and other tips on handling in the woods. I e-mailed NH regarding the forthcoming 14LA FEL. They confirmed that one is in the works but for "competetive reasons" they would not comment on timetables. Suggested I keep close to my local dealer. Any sense out there as to whether it might be this year '03 or next?