Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #11  
JayC said:
This situation reminds me of a neighbor a couple doors down. At least you get use out of your 4700. The neighbor has roughly 1/2 acre. He's got a Class III New Holland CUT (which one I'm not sure). It is pretty rediculous seeing such a big tractor on such a small lot. He pretty much never uses it in the summer months. Every once in a great while he may box blade his small driveway. Back in June he was doing something in the backyard with it. Looked like he was moving dirt around. Must have redid the back lawn or something. The only time it really ever gets some use is in the winter to plow his driveway out. Never see him do other driveways, just his own. Doesn't take long to plow such a small driveway with such a big tractor. He's got a trailer for it, too, but he never takes it anywhere.

Sounds like the neighbor up the street when I lived in suburbia. They had a tiny corner lot that one could mow with a 22" walk-behind in about 30 minutes. Being the good yuppie types, they had a 12HP Craftsman riding mower with a 42" deck (my boss at the time had the exact same mower for his 1.5 acre lawn). First, they had to have a wider gate installed to get the mower into the fenced back yard. The best, however, was when the mower was about 3 years old. The wife was grinding leaves that were raked from the property into the street. Somehow, she managed to burn the mower to the ground! I kid you not! I come home from work one day, & the burnt/rusted mower is sitting at the curb surrounded by a burnt pile of leaves. :eek: How bad was it burnt? All four tires were gone!

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre
VABlue said:
I wish I had enough money to buy an oversized tractor and never use it...

I use it all the time....Just not usually for mowing the lawn...

It was a last resort..

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #13  
JayC said:
This situation reminds me of a neighbor a couple doors down. At least you get use out of your 4700. The neighbor has roughly 1/2 acre. He's got a Class III New Holland CUT (which one I'm not sure). It is pretty rediculous seeing such a big tractor on such a small lot. He pretty much never uses it in the summer months. Every once in a great while he may box blade his small driveway. Back in June he was doing something in the backyard with it. Looked like he was moving dirt around. Must have redid the back lawn or something. The only time it really ever gets some use is in the winter to plow his driveway out. Never see him do other driveways, just his own. Doesn't take long to plow such a small driveway with such a big tractor. He's got a trailer for it, too, but he never takes it anywhere.

Which brings to mind "What's the difference between Men and Boys?"

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #14  
26m10, I was referring to JayC's post, I know your's was a last resort deal. Sorry for the confusion!

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre
Actually I think it was 100% amusing....

I originally posted it to lighten everyones day.

I need to get a picture of Brutus with the mower in the "field".

No offense taken....

it is 100% true...The difference between men and boys is the size of their toys..

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #16  
"The difference between men and boys is the size of their toys..."

I stand a towering 5'5" - I can get away with a little 2305! :)

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #17  
RoyJackson said:
Which brings to mind "What's the difference between Men and Boys?"

Yea, I understand that, Roy, but he didn't run the mower, EVER, only his wife! She must have been terrified of it because she'd take nearly an hour to mow. I could do my property, which was just shy of being twice the size of theirs (with the same size house on it) in the same time with my $129 K-Mart 22" self-propelled walk behind! BTW, after the mower burned down, they hired a lawn service. Those boys would have the place mowed, trimmed, & blown off in about 15 minutes.

But then, I'm not complaining that someone has that kind of money to throw away. It's people like that who keep the economy floating right along. After all, where would we all be if people didn't live beyond their means, buying mowers, tractors, cars & trucks bigger than is necessary? (tongue now removed from cheek) ;)

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #18  
There was an article about one year ago in TIME or an equivalent magazine about a gentleman in FL who had an X595 for a 1/4 acre yard. It was the new display of wealth--to have a $14,000 tractor to mow a lawn it could do in less than 10 minutes time. Interestingly, the article also said many people bought nice lawn equipment for show--and still had a lawn service do their lawn work for them. I am not one of those, but did have a 4520 which I used on my 5 acre plot, three of which I could not access due to steepness or tree cover.

John M