Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle
Out of curiosity, though, why not just use a rototiller?

I have used the tiller many times. (even put gauge wheels on it). And it does a real nice job fixing areas of the yard.

But not really needed to do that find of a finish in the field. And its small....54", and real slow going. I'd be all day prepping a ~2500' waterway for seed with a 54" tiller. Where the disc would do it in a few passes down and back, and at something more than 1 mph.

I also like using a disc and pulling over top of a windrow of dirt that gets shoved back in a trench dug by the backhoe. Backfilling with a loader.....leaves an uneven trench fill that settles uneven and equally rough once it is finally settled. The disc evens things out nicely.....the another pass down each side with the rear blade to windrow back overtop of the trench.....excellent results. Not something I could do with the tiller.

I have no experience with that disc harrow...
According to this thread is a double offset that may have issues penetrating hard pan...

JD210 12 Ft. disc - Yesterday's Tractors

Not looking for a primary tillage tool. And I am sure it will penetrate better than the 6-8' angle iron frame 3PH disc's I am used to.

Here is a picture so people get an idea what I am looking at. (This isnt the actual disc, rather one just like it I found online.)

deere 210 disc.jpg

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle #12  
Love to see how it handles.
I run 98" ETA 24/20 3pt.

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle #13  
Since its not 3pt, I don't think youll have the weight to pull that size of disc. Discs require lots of horsepower and lots of weight. If it does pull it, I don't think its going to like it very much. On 2nd pass my old school 6' discs will cause me to loose traction now and again, but HP isn't an issue...

IMAG0645.jpg

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle #14  
The wheels bear whatever load the operator desires, so draft force may or may not not be a limiting factor.

However, this non-Three Point Hitch towed Disc will require a lot of room to turn and OP wants to use it in space limited conditions. I do not see how you could move this long-tongue Disc in reverse more than a few feet.

"I use a disc more for construction type work. Leveling/smooting uneven areas, dressing up around trenches dug with the backhoe, breaking up the hardpack to sow some grass seed, etc."

Last edited:
   / Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle #15  
There are so many variables, that without actually seeing the areas to be disked, all anyone is doing is guessing. Type of terrain, type of disk, size of pans, overall weight. 3pt, wheel, old pull type, desired angle, desired depth.

I have a 75hp, 12,000lb tractor that I use to disk with as well as a small dozer and an old Cat D6. We have 6', 8' & 12' Kielfer offset pull disks. With my conditions, the 8' disk with new 22" pans weighs in around 3000lbs. On the 2nd disking (9" deep) there are areas where it is all the tractor can handle. Your tractor would not budge it. I can pull the 12' disk on flat ground only and only a single pass, won't do it at all on a second pass.

So for those people that are always saying that there tractor can pull such and such and it seems big, need to get ALL the details. Here's a picture of a smaller 13' disk that requires something like 400hp to pull around. :rolleyes: Oh, each of those pans puts over 900lbs of pressure to the ground.

I remember some guy that use to be on here quite often that was going on about his 60hp 6000lb tractor pulling a 14'-16' disk.(I don't remember now) Really? I asked for pictures several times, never got any. Seems like that would be a hard pull even with small pans, but I don't really know, all I've ever pulled are 22" pans.

Again, lots of variables that should be considered.

Good luck with your decision. ;)
He might be able to pull it with about 3-4 inches in depth. But at reduced speed, may not get good results. I know pulling my Amco 9 foot offset, it needs speed to turn the sod over correctly. Too slow and the sod just plops back were it was. He might also think about a drag harrow for seeding. I love my 10 footer and pull it with the loader bucket around the pond. 11-9-13 Drag Harrowing Dam.jpg11-9-13 Dam Baby Smooth.jpg
Buy it and try it...............then resale it. That is what I thought before buying my 9 foot offset.............then fell in love with it.4-2-13 RED Disc Sees Daylight.jpg4-6-13 Luke and Disc in Dirt.jpg
hugs, Brandi

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle
The wheels bear whatever load the operator desires, so draft force may or may not not be a limiting factor.

However, this non-Three Point Hitch towed Disc will require a lot of room to turn and OP wants to use it in space limited conditions. I do not see how you could move this long-tongue Disc in reverse more than a few feet.

"I use a disc more for construction type work. Leveling/smooting uneven areas, dressing up around trenches dug with the backhoe, breaking up the hardpack to sow some grass seed, etc."

I wouldnt really say I will be using in space limited conditions. The field tile and trenching done is usually in the middle of big fields.

And even around my house and pond....nothing is real tight. 1 acre pond, on 8-1/2 acres total.