Biggest projects you've completed with your 'bota?

/ Biggest projects you've completed with your 'bota? #11  
Vanb, Dude, you are one determined BX owner, nice work..Did you scout-up the rocks?

Those pics are right out of Bedrock - the Flintstones not the material.

/ Biggest projects you've completed with your 'bota? #12  
I have a good one for this:

I don't know how these pics will come out, but attached are before (bird's eye) and after (satellite) pics of my camp. I gave it a face-lift a summer ago - it absorbed 475 tons of 3/4" nitpack gravel (stone mixed with stone dust) and ~240 yards of organic loam (dirt mixed with poo), putting over 200 hours onto my Kubota L4200 in the process. In the before shot, the road is mostly natural dirt, and both barn and house sit in overgrown gravel pits. The barn is toward the top of the pics, the house at the bottom. I put in lawns at both. I also made parking areas at both, and resurfaced the 1000' of driveway with the nitpack gravel. It was an awesome summer. You can see my tractor parked in front of the house on the new parking area in the after shot (its the orange blob).

Gotta love a project that is big enough to be viewed from space.

JayC

Attachments

• Weare before.JPG
    Weare before.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 501
  • Weare after.JPG
    Weare after.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 539
   / Biggest projects you've completed with your 'bota? #13  
I ordered the rocks for the wall, The landscape supplier assured me that they would be close to the same size(18"-24"). 2 full trucks from Little Falls, MN
(20 tons each side dump) and 10 local tons. It took me 10 straight hours just to move them from the ditch where they were dumped to where I could stage them. When they dumped them, I thought that I might have to rent a skid loader (looked like some were too large/heavy), but I got them all moved with my BX. It was a lot of work jumping on and off the tractor and then muscling them into place (I took a lot of advil at night)

/ Biggest projects you've completed with your 'bota?
I have a good one for this:

I don't know how these pics will come out, but attached are before (bird's eye) and after (satellite) pics of my camp. I gave it a face-lift a summer ago - it absorbed 475 tons of 3/4" nitpack gravel (stone mixed with stone dust) and ~240 yards of organic loam (dirt mixed with poo), putting over 200 hours onto my Kubota L4200 in the process. In the before shot, the road is mostly natural dirt, and both barn and house sit in overgrown gravel pits. The barn is toward the top of the pics, the house at the bottom. I put in lawns at both. I also made parking areas at both, and resurfaced the 1000' of driveway with the nitpack gravel. It was an awesome summer. You can see my tractor parked in front of the house on the new parking area in the after shot (its the orange blob).

Gotta love a project that is big enough to be viewed from space.

JayC

Did you have a gravel pit on your property you were getting the material from, or did you have it hauled in? Either way looks like a big improvement.

I ordered the rocks for the wall, The landscape supplier assured me that they would be close to the same size(18"-24"). 2 full trucks from Little Falls, MN
(20 tons each side dump) and 10 local tons. It took me 10 straight hours just to move them from the ditch where they were dumped to where I could stage them. When they dumped them, I thought that I might have to rent a skid loader (looked like some were too large/heavy), but I got them all moved with my BX. It was a lot of work jumping on and off the tractor and then muscling them into place (I took a lot of advil at night)

I bet that was a lot of work getting them all in the bucket. I know how belligerent those big round rocks can be, especially without a set of forks or a grapple. You get it pushed in the bucket as far as you think it needs to be, roll the bucket back and it pops out, start over, etc.

/ Biggest projects you've completed with your 'bota? #15  
I have done a few jobs that were big if you looked over a shovel at them.:D Here are a few pics of the leach field for a septic system that I was expanding last year. I used Biodiffusers instead of pipe and set up the leach field so that the old leach field could be serviced without creating a major headache.

Attachments

• HPIM2407a.jpg
    HPIM2407a.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 479
  • HPIM2415a.jpg
    HPIM2415a.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 528
  • HPIM2431a.jpg
    HPIM2431a.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 458
  • HPIM2449a.jpg
    HPIM2449a.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
   / Biggest projects you've completed with your 'bota? #16  
Not sure if this qualifies as a "larger" project, especially compared to some of the above, but it certainly took up most of my spring and early summer...

My wife and I purchased a home in western New York in March. It's an old farmhouse with gas heat supplemented by an outdoor woodburning furnace which also heats a 4 car garage. We were told the furnace has a huge appetite for wood, and burns a facecord or more a week during the winter months. The previous owners also owned the surrounding farmland (we only have 1 acre), and they piled their wood out in the open behind the garage or scavenged from downed wood on the property. So my task this spring was to build a couple lean-to's for the wood, and start hunting down wood any way I could get it.

I hooked up with a local tree service company, and one afternoon they dropped off two loads of chunked maple in my backyard. My first thought was "that's at least 4 cords of free wood!", but then I realized some of these chunks must have weighed 300+ pounds, 28 or 30 inches in diameter - real nutcrackers. Then as the wood began to pile up, the grass also began to grow. After three weeks of push mowing our one acre, I began looking at tractors, and before long I caught orange fever. It took about a month to get my wife to (grudgingly) agree to buy the BX, but finally in May we picked up a 2360.

A week after I bought the tractor, I found some nice locust wood listed on Craigslist. I drove out to the location and couldn't believe my eyes, had to be almost 5 cords of beautiful hardwood all for free. The catch was the homeowner said you have to take it all, every piece. Again, I was looking at 25 -30 inch trunk pieces and since locust is about as dense as lead, there was no way even 3 guys could have picked this stuff up by hand. So we brought the BX down in a separate trailer and wouldn't you know it that little tractor handled every single piece!

In the process of all this, my wife finally saw the light. As much as she was against spending 14K on a "lawn mower", she now admits it was the right choice. I've put almost 40 hours on the tractor already and although things have slowed down now, for awhile there it seemed every day I was finding a new use for it. The BX even helped out when we put the second wood rack up, clearing out a 20 x 12 area with the backblade then lifting one corner of the rack to level it with shims. What an unbelievable little machine. In the beginning there might have been a question of whether the purchase was justified with only 1 acre of land, but that question has been clearly answered. Here's some pics to document the story.

Attachments

• 100_2961.jpg
    100_2961.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 524
  • 100_2790.jpg
    100_2790.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 512
  • 100_2771.jpg
    100_2771.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 502
  • 100_2774.jpg
    100_2774.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 439
   / Biggest projects you've completed with your 'bota? #17  
That is a nice load of firewood... I hope you have a log splitter... I heat our home with a wood burning insert, I use 2-3 cords per season. Im in NC so the temps are more mild.
I just bought a B2320 for our 2.8 parrcel and my wife loves the idea after I moved tons of dirt in a two hour period while she went to costcos.. :D

/ Biggest projects you've completed with your 'bota? #18  
Did you have a gravel pit on your property you were getting the material from, or did you have it hauled in? Either way looks like a big improvement.

Hauled in. 13 tri-axle loads of loam, 20 loads of nitpack gravel, a load of stone and a load of stone dust. About 10 grand all-together.

The good news is that I got a quote for the driveway work from a paving company who was working next door for the road work. Their guesstimate was 15 grand, not including materials. I suspect that the landscaping work would've been twice that, not to mention the bridge rebuild and reinforce work I did (stream crossing - I was nervous about the 30 fully-loaded tri-axles I was planning to put across that bridge). So, I did $45-50k worth of work with my tractor, so it paid for itself 3 times over just last summer alone. AND, as an added bonus, I got a killer tan and lost 35 pounds :).

JayC

/ Biggest projects you've completed with your 'bota? #19  
AND, as an added bonus, I got a killer tan and lost 35 pounds :).

JayC

JayC, Don't worry, I found some of that weight you lost...you want it back??!!:laughing:

/ Biggest projects you've completed with your 'bota? #20  
Here are two pictures for a french drain project I completed, and here are two pictures of my current land clearing project.

Vic

Attachments

• FrenchDrain002.jpg
    FrenchDrain002.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 416
  • FillingTrench024.jpg
    FillingTrench024.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 414
  • pondwork1.jpg
    pondwork1.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 404
  • pondwork2.jpg