Binders - Which Kind?

/ Binders - Which Kind? #51  
I have the 5/16" chains from HD and a 3/8" from Lowes (the Cambell brand is made in the USA, but the hooks & package from China!), but need to upgrade to an approved DOT chain. I also have 2 new ratchet style binders, that I bought from a truck supplier at $60/ea. Made in China. I can't seem to locate the US made binders.

Do binders have to have DOT stampings/tags like chains do?

Also, my skidsteer (5200 lbs) only has two tie-down points on the chassis. They are located at the center of the main body on the front and rear. When I moved it home, I ran the chains through them and bound them down, pulling to the front and rear of the trailer, like a V on either end. I also bound the buckets with straps. From my understanding of the regs, this is OK for loads less than 10,000 lbs. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'd rather use four chains and four seperate tie-down points on the machine. But that will require me to attach hooks on it I think. Maybe the bolt-on D rings would work.

I think you are ok for 10K and under using two appropriately rated chains. Like you said the only other thing you could do is weld on grab hooks or attach some sort of ring.

I am like you though, and feel better with 4 seperate tie downs no matter what the load weighs. I even use 4 ratchet straps when I move my riding mower. Even a 500# object like that is something I do not want coming though my rear window in a head on collision.

Chris

/ Binders - Which Kind? #52  
I have the 5/16" chains from HD and a 3/8" from Lowes (the Cambell brand is made in the USA, but the hooks & package from China!), but need to upgrade to an approved DOT chain. I also have 2 new ratchet style binders, that I bought from a truck supplier at $60/ea. Made in China. I can't seem to locate the US made binders.

Do binders have to have DOT stampings/tags like chains do?

Also, my skidsteer (5200 lbs) only has two tie-down points on the chassis. They are located at the center of the main body on the front and rear. When I moved it home, I ran the chains through them and bound them down, pulling to the front and rear of the trailer, like a V on either end. I also bound the buckets with straps. From my understanding of the regs, this is OK for loads less than 10,000 lbs. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'd rather use four chains and four seperate tie-down points on the machine. But that will require me to attach hooks on it I think. Maybe the bolt-on D rings would work.

The binders should have the WLL(working load limit) stamped on them. Campbell is Domestic made. I used to be all about using the cheaper binders and chains when I was trucking. now that I am in the industry for wire rope.chain and nylon slings- basically lifting etc and sell the import and domestic chains and binders. I have seen the chinese binder chain break at half of the working load, seen it break over the WLL. In short you dont know what you are getting. As a rule on import stuff, chinese is the cheapest junk, korean is alot better and Domestic is the best. When pull testing the chain in a test bed the domestic always out performs and breaks at a better average than the import stuff.
Link for the tie down requirements
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Cargo Securement Rules - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

/ Binders - Which Kind? #53  
Thanks to all for the info on my chain and binder questions. I finally decided. Went to Lowes and got the two 20 ft lengths of 5/16" gold chain that's stamped with 70 every foot or so and says "Made in USA" on the bag they came in. Bought 4 extra chain hooks, cut the 20's in half and added hooks to make 4 ea 10 footers.($84 total) Since I value my teeth and skull, I opted for ratchet binders, but couldn't find any USA made ones and had to settle for 4 ea 5/16" China made at Big R.($41 each) As I'd read here on a post about China made ones, I unscrewed them and sure enough, they were loaded with metal filings. I cleaned them out and greased the threads.

I should be OK with my choices and thanks to all who replied.

/ Binders - Which Kind? #55  
Millwood sounds like you got a good set up.

When I use binders for heavy loads I try to get the chain as tight as possible without binder usage THEN hook the binder to take make the chain tight.

I see some use binders with a foot or more of loose chain between the hooks. It is my goal should a binder snap the chain is still tight enough to hold the shifting load.

/ Binders - Which Kind? #56  
In my previous post I said the ratchet binders I bought at Big R were made in China and loaded with metal filings. I did clean them out and greased the threads, but last night it got to bothering me. I took a real close look at them with my jewelers magnifier and saw that the threads on the shanks had breaks and missing metal all along the threads. This is indicative of high speed running of a die, with little or no lube when cut. If this is what is acceptable on the shank threads, then I can only imagine what the threads on the insides of the tubes look like. It also brings to question the quality of the steel used to make these ratchet binders.

I plan to return them to Big R for a refund and invest in USA made ratchet binders, but if denied then I will donate them to a recycle bin as I will not chance my tractor coming off my trailer and killing someone !!!!!

/ Binders - Which Kind? #57  
Thanks guys!

I have the same concerns with my new binders Millwood. The threads actually look to be in good shape, but the play in the shanks and tubes seem excessive. Even screwed all the way in (~ 6 inches of thread contact) the hook ends have visible amount of play vs the body.

Thanks to saltbranch, I'll be reasearching an investing in a new set of chains and binders made here. I generally try to buy USA made product anyway, and only buy imported products when the timing or availibility does not permit finding the US made alternative.

/ Binders - Which Kind? #58  
I don't want to start a new thread for discussion, so I'll ask my question here as it has to do with binding down a load. I just bought a new Kubota B3300 and a new 16 ft flatbed to haul it. The total weight of the tractor with LA504 loader, Landpride RTR1258 tiller and 610 lbs of beet juice in rear tires is 3917 lbs. I am now looking at tie-down equipment. I have read all the posts here and have decided that ratchets are my choice, with 3/8's solid link chain. Is the chain size over-kill? My tractor is spanking new and I don't want to bark the paint with chain, so does anyone have a suggestion on a rub-guard where the chain wraps around the axle? I was thinking of getting some old 2" firehose from local station, cutting and slipping it over chain, or do they make something I can buy?
Here is a pic of the hooks I welded on the front of my tractor for transport. It sure makes it alot easier and I don't scratch up my tractor.
fronthook1.jpg

fronthook2.jpg

I have one on both sides. I use one chain and one ratchet binder between each hook and trailer.