Bird flu got me...

/ Bird flu got me... #13  
The big question in the news is, How does a farmer kill 100,000 chickens humanely, quickly and economically.

/ Bird flu got me... #14  
Last edited:
   / Bird flu got me... #15  
There goes the price of chicken!
Packaged wings finally became available again at the local Wal-Mart a few weeks back. Prices were up, which I blamed on inflation. With the flu they'll probably be through the roof now or disappear again.

/ Bird flu got me... #16  
Packaged wings finally became available again at the local Wal-Mart a few weeks back. Prices were up, which I blamed on inflation. With the flu they'll probably be through the roof now or disappear again.
I've got wings from 24 birds in the freezer. If you were closer I would give them to you. Sometime in August I should have about that many again... providing that my birds don't get the flu.

/ Bird flu got me... #17  
I've got wings from 24 birds in the freezer. If you were closer I would give them to you. Sometime in August I should have about that many again... providing that my birds don't get the flu.
Jstpssng,
That's kind of you. I bought the small package at Wal-Mart and ate over half on my own, last night. If memory serves the large package was over $30.00

/ Bird flu got me... #18  
I think it would be less of a problem if we didn’t have the specialized breeds, which most major farms are growing. As you breed for specific traits, you loose others, which frequently includes hardiness. The breeds which have been around for a hundred years or more, and the yard bird hybrids, are probably more disease resistant. Plus free range chickens are spread out pretty well.

/ Bird flu got me... #19  
I think it would be less of a problem if we didn’t have the specialized breeds, which most major farms are growing. As you breed for specific traits, you loose others, which frequently includes hardiness. The breeds which have been around for a hundred years or more, and the yard bird hybrids, are probably more disease resistant. Plus free range chickens are spread out pretty well.
I hope that you're right, at least about the free range part. I have 24 meat chickens and 1/2 dozen turkeys coming in next month, and I'm not set up to keep them confined as they advise. It's hard enough keeping them inside at night so that the fox, coyotes, weasels, ravens, crows, and raccoons don't get too many of them.

/ Bird flu got me... #20  
I don’t see anything in there that restricts anything in GA except selling at flea markets and swap meets. It even says there are no cases in Georgia.
All the same, I stopped feeding wild birds for 60 days. I want to do whatever I can to contribute to the restriction of bird flu.