Birds and BEES

/ Birds and BEES #1  

Jag

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota /L2650/ LA450/B4690 -- John Deere 450 Dozer
Yesterday, I was clearing out an old fence line with my dozer and found some bees, not sure were they were in the ground or in a small dead tree I push down. I got hit three times. The one on the front left shoulder is still sore. These little ones are not some I have run into before. They were between the size of what we always called a sweat bee and a honey bee. They were not bad to swarm, as it was still pretty cold early in the morning, but one did stay with me for awhile. Only been poped one other time on the tractor by a paper wasp, have stired up ground wasps several times but never hit. I was wondering if anyone else has had the chance to deal with nature in this way, and any stories, problems or tips on how to handle them.

/ Birds and BEES #2  
When I was a youngster my dad had a logging operation. I got stung buy a bee that was called a bumble bee that lived ing the ground. It was smaller than my little finger nail. Everysince I have to be very careful as it turns out I am alergic to bee venom. JIm

/ Birds and BEES #3  
Jag,

Are you sure it wasn't a nest of yellow jackets?

They love to either nest in the ground or into dead trees. Usually will leave you alone if you leave them alone. But, if disturbed, they'll just follow you around. I usually drop whatever I'm doing and run like the dickens to get out of the way. Let them settle down and finish them off with a good long-distance insecticide.

Terry

/ Birds and BEES #4  
Jag,
I know exactly what you're talking about, but I also don't know what they are. They're not yellow jackets, unless they're some sort of miniature sub-species. I saw them first time about two years ago at the shooting range I belong to. Until just a few days ago, I had not seen them anywhere else. Last Sunday, I loaded the tractor on the trailer to take out to the wife's farm and just as I hit the front of the trailer, they were swarming all around. Shut down the tractor and jumped. I didn't know if they were nesting in the trailer or under the hood of the tractor. As it turned out, they were all over the back yard. I have a pear tree and there are several pears on the ground. These bees were "eating" on the pears. No flowers left, so I guess they were getting the "nectar" from the meat of the pears. I'm in extreme Southeast Kansas, so probably not far from you. About four years ago, there was some sort of mite that killed off almost all of the honey bees. This last summer, I saw the first few real honey bees I've seen since then, but still in very limited numbers. I've had some people refer to the new "little" bees as "wild honey bees". Makes me wander if they aren't something that has proliferated after the demise of the regular honey bees. Whatever they are, their sting is nasty. We were sitting around the picnic tables out at the range when one landed on my leg without me noticing. I laid my arm on my leg and the little bugger stung me on my wrist. Within 30 minutes, my wrist and hand were swollen up so bad I could hardly move them. I've also had a couple of them get down the back of my shirt and get me. Whatever they are, they are much more aggressive than the typical honey bee. These things don't appear to be afraid of humans at all and will continually buzz around you, crawl in your hair, land on you, etc. Not the type of behavior you see in a honey bee. Also, from what I've seen, they nest in the ground. One of the guys was raking the picnic area at the range and when he uncovered a hole in the ground, a whole herd of 'em came swarming out of the hole. I'll check the yard today and see if they're still around and, if I can stomp one, I'll post a picture of the rotten little buggers so you all can see what we're talking about.

Hoss

jdrsc.gif

/ Birds and BEES #5  
Africanized bees haven't made it that far north yet, have they?

/ Birds and BEES #6  
Jag
Encountered some of the underground ones while mowing a new area. Wife heard the commotion and came running! Fortunately she stopped short when she saw the source. I'm allergic to 'em and my head looked like I was on the loosing side of a ball bat fight. Swelling nearly instantly. She's hollering to get to house to treat them, I calmly get on mower, back it over the hole, maximum rpm's, let it set and walk to the house./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.Had a quiet hole to pour the chemicals into when I returned. Revenge is good sometimes!
regards
Mutt

/ Birds and BEES #7  
Man to his Kubota dealer:
"I'd like to order a mid mount bee killer, please"
/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-72852-2500bx65.jpg

/ Birds and BEES #8  
Jag,
Couple of summers ago was bush hoggin and hit a nest of what they call around here yellow jackets. Felt pain in my back and arms, turned around and saw cloud of them buzzin me, bailed off the tractor in full run towards pond. Looked over shoulder before I jumped and had lost them so didn't jump into pond. Pain only lasted a day, and made them buggers pay with their life with wasp spray. Worst pain I ever had was from a mud dauber. Opened a door on a storage shed and got stung in back of left ear, swole up bad and was red and burned like crazy for about a week. My kids called me Ross Perot for a week cause my ear was so big!

18-83730-gatorsig.gif
Wally <font color=green>JD 750 "GATOR"</font color=green>