Birthday gift for husband

/ Birthday gift for husband #21  
OK, SHE's voted off the Island, move along folks...

JUST KIDDING!

Cub Cadet is owned by mtd these days, just make sure it's what you want. Some of their stuff is good, and some is cheap. (Kinda like the Deere equipment you see at HomeDepot....)

/ Birthday gift for husband #22  
<font color="blue"> ( I have been swayed to consider the Cub Cadet Zero Turn as a contender ) </font>

If you want your husband to enjoy cutting the lawn in comfort -- get the Deere. If you want your husband to finish the job as fast as possible because you have other things for him to do -- get the ZTR. A decent ZTR in comparable quality to the LT180 will cost more.

/ Birthday gift for husband #23  
Ctlawn, Hmmm, I am kind of looking for a lawn tractor also so I am following this thread. In reading some of the reviews on another web site if I had only those two choices I would like my wife to get me the Deer. Kyle in Lee County has one and loves it and that's good enough for me. I have a Kawasaki motor in my snapper lawn mower and I mow waist high grass with that powerful engine. Does the Cub have a return policy?

There are several threads below in the "Lawn and Garden" section that will have your head spinning. Welcome to TBN.

Beenthere, I did all the research of sewing machines, even read for hours on a Sewingbynet site and the one to get would be the Brother Pacesetter NX400. It's best if you have to spend a few extra bucks to get the dealer to give a demo class to the wife. I got lots of extra tractor points last Christmas with my research. In fact she liked it so much she enrolled in a 6 day sewing class and it was the exact model as the Instructor's! And yes, the Instructor was impressed that I picked it out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Birthday gift for husband #24  
That fine sewing machine purchase probably allowed you a few more hours of seat time too!! If she was in a real good mood maybe even a new implement?? Ha!

/ Birthday gift for husband #25  
Welcome, I had to jump in. The LT 180 is a nice machine that has enough power for attachments like a bagger, snow blade or blower and pull behind attachments. My wife went with me to pick out mine but she wouldn't let me pick out her sewing machine. Life is short, go for it. If you give it to him and tell him he can trade up or down (yea right) within 30 days you have a home run. My only suggestion is to go with a dealer, the home depot units are not the same.

Richard

/ Birthday gift for husband
What is the difference b/tn what the dealer is selling and the models at The Home Depot. The highest L series model at The Home Depot has a 22 HP engine, why is it priced less?

/ Birthday gift for husband #27  
<font color="blue"> ( The highest L series model at The Home Depot has a 22 HP engine, why is it priced less? ) </font>

Those are made very cheaply. I don't recommend the L-series to anyone.

/ Birthday gift for husband #28  
Golly, a <font color="green">John Deere</font> mower for his 30th??? What will he get for his 40th???????????

/ Birthday gift for husband #29  
Considering other machines? Nothing wrong with that [and you did post in "comparisons" instead of "JD", so it seems quite appropriate to have a few brands contending]! But it does bring to mind several questions [some you may have answered earlier or now have in your profile, but I overlooked them]:

Why was JD your first choice: You like the dealer? Husband has nostaligia to JD? Other?

Why lawn tractor? The variety of tasks? Completing the nostaligia effects of the JD [if he used to farm or otherwise have a JD]? Personal preference of yours or his?

What tasks [mowing, tilling, etc] and how many sq ft, acres, or hours are slated for each?

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Do you want to spend more or less time with your husband?
i.e. If you have obstacles, the ZTR will almost definitely cut his mowing time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If he has other tasks in mind, the tractor style will probably win, but it will take him longer to mow and you'll see less & less of him as he finds excuses to play with attachments. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh and he'll be spending more time checking out all the attachments on-line or at the local dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On tractor style, if you go with a GT instead of a LT, both effects will be further exagerated [larger turning radius, but "heavy duty" for garden work]. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, if you have perfect conditions and not much area he may be happy with the cheaper machines, but I really think [in the choices you listed and not knowing the answers to the "important" questions] you'd want at least the LT in the JD tractors or the ZForce in the CC zero turns. As Gatorboy mentioned earlier, you'll likely get more lawn tractor for the same money on a ZTR. However, the $4-$5K area has many really interesting ZTRs [not quite commerical, but heavier than "entry level consumer"]

I have read a couple "success stories" here where people found more helpful advice and assistance at a big store than this or that dealer, but [in general] the dealers will have the full line or the higher quality models and will be more knowledgable. The dealer choice may be even more important since your situation may require the ability to trade for a different machine. Don't forget having a friendly face for warrenty work [if ever needed] as well.

Good Luck! That is a very nice gift, regardless of your choice [of course, if you can get him to inadvertantly tell a friend his preference that would still be perfect]. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Birthday gift for husband #30  
<font color="blue">We have 2 acres, relatively level. </font>

Reread your oringal post. Still don't think you mentioned ground engaging work or number of obstacles, but I'd say either the LT [for JD tractors] or ZForce [for CC ZTRs] would make him very happy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif