Dealer Bizzare JD Dealership Exp.

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #11  
You know TomK's experience with a dealer kinda makes me think of (get your throwin tomato's ready).........the recent state and federal elections. This year everyone running for office seems to be on this kick of bashing their opponent instead of taking a stand and telling us about their own beliefs; ethics; their own record; etc...... I can't stand any of the TV ads anymore....

Sorry if a bit off topic

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp.
Don't be sorry Champy. It's very true. It seems that class, civility and for that matter patriotism are a thing of the past. What ever happened to respectfully dissagreeing with someone. It seems knowbody wants to debate real issues whether they be tractor, political, religeous or any other topic. I'm sick of it too. Why is everything taken to the lowest common denominator and why is our country gotten so adversarial?.... sorry now I'm ranting. I just remember a time when people were more thoughtful, the chrome was thicker and TV was actually funny and entertaining. Oh and food tasted better too!

Wesdor, there was only one dealer that let me have my way with dirt on his lot. They are a great dealer unfortunately they are over 100 mis. away and for me it's a little too far. Thanks again for your helpful comments.

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #13  
In recent years, customer service, in my opinion, has gone down the tubes. But, I will say when I bought my JD 5103 the dealer stayed after closing to help me decide between a 990 and a 5103. He delivered the tractor to me with some free hats and had dinner with us. JD since pulled there line from him b/c, I'm guessing here, he also sold Kubota (?). He is a great guy and a perfect example of what customer service should be.

Update,

Went to some other JD (and other brand) dealerships and drove quite a bit and met some really good folks. I enjoy shopping and meeting dealerships and salesmen, it helps me alot in making purchasing decisions. Anyway... i went back (to the original Dealer) just to sit on the 2320 again to size it for my large build. The tractor ergonomics were better than the first time and I have no clue why. Also for whatever reason the saleman I originally spoke with was much more gracious and attentive. He also gave me a VERY attractive (LOWER) price. There may be green in my driveway on Dec. 25th. We'll see.

I'll post pics if the Warden and Santa come to terms. I'm doing life plus 2 kids. (That last comment is known as a Tomism)

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #15  
When I first went looking for my JD 3520 I went to the biggest and closest JD dealership. I had a very similar experience with the salesman. He acted very much like I was a nuisance to him and that he had more important things to do. His price on the tractor was also quite high for what I was considering. I left feeling very frustrated and not thinking to highly of the dealership. I purchased my machine from a dealer that was about 20 mins farther from home because of this guy, price wasn't really my main factor. I have since gone back to the first dealership on numerous occasions and had a great experience with the service and parts department. I guess what I'm trying to say is this one guy really bothered me and they lost a sale because of it, but the dealership as a whole seems to be very good and responsive. Now that I'm not buying a tractor I don't have to deal with him. Who knows, maybe these guys have bad days too.

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #16  
JD is doing some weird things with the dealers. My dealer can't get the inventory he needs to sell - even though he can pay for it. He showed me his inventory stock sheet versus needs, and he's go "0's" in about 1/2 of them. He said the zone rep just says, "You haven't sold any of those, so obviously you don't need them." He has 65% of the tractor market share in his area, but JD support to him is ambivalent at best.

His response is, "How can I sell them if I don't have them?" So, you get frustrated dealers who employ sales people who don't have a clue - just so they can try and generate numbers.

I'm not surprised as JD hired a person from Mattel Toys to run the marketing and that's why you have inferior JD equipment in Lowes, and Home Depot so they can "be everywhere." As the service manager of the local JD store said, "We must have serviced 10,000 of those machines." "We haven't upgraded anyone from one of the mass marketing machines to new equipment." "The people are just pissed off at us because it doesn't work."

I've owned an IH, a Ford (NH) and now JD. I purchased the JD because the NH dealer is getting squirrely about parts on my Ford 1720 - and I don't want to get stuck with at tractor that is difficult to get parts. For example, I had to "special order" a thermostat for it! A freaking thermostat??

I have no choice on dealers. I have one JD, one NH, one Kubota, and one IH. If I want to price shop, I have to go at least 200 - 300 miles. In my mind, not practical as I still have to have it serviced, get parts, etc. My JD dealer has two stores within 20 miles of my place.

They're open on Saturday (none of the other dealers do that) - so I finally just broke down, paid more and purchased the JD. The dealer has been great to date and I have no regrets.

But, all of the main line tractors made today are quality pieces of equipment. If you can't get satisfaction from the JD dealer, if I were in your place I'd have no trouble buying blue, orange, or some other color.

My only caveat is - how long do you want to own the equipment? I'm hoping the latest JD will be the last tractor I'll have to purchase.

Swines,

Let me know if the Dealer was wrong about this but he said JD had a much better value retention than most other brands (that makes sense considering the market share they hold). If that's true then THAT to me is huge because the property I'm buying it for is commercial. At some point I will utilize the rest of that property and may not need the tractor to groom and maintain.

Just curious.

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #18  
TomKioti said:
I had a strange expierience at a JD dealership in Southeastern Va. last Thursday. Let me state first that I have no bias whatsoever on brand.
I own a very old Long tractor and almost bought a Kioti hence the Tomkioti moniker (and still am not ruling out that brand). In a nutshell I'm still lurking.

Anyway I was so impressed with the drive over deck for the 2320 and the 200cx loader that I had to go check it out (enter salesman). First off, I like a confident saleman that knows his specs and the attributes of his product. That being said this guy was from another world alltogether. According to him there was no other tractor worth a crap except for JD. He told me ALL other brands were inferior at the very least and just plain useless at worst. At that point my wife looked at me and said "honey be nice". I challenged his comments and stated that while I know the standing of JD in the marketplace how could he completely dismiss every other brand of tractor ever made period! Right about that time a flatbed went buy with a NH on the back and I said to him "so that guy isn't gonna get his job done today with that tractor?", he just looked at me with a kinda coolaide drinking stare and said" that's a city owned tractor they always buy the cheapest".

At that point he offered to let me have whirl on a 2320. I told him that I've driven many tractors and unless he has a pile of gravel to dig into I would have to pass. I know this isn't a model of all JD salespeople but man this guy really turned me off. Not on the brand, mind you... but on the sale. I wouldn't buy a Slim Jim from that dealership much less a tractor.

Again let me state "this is NOT a stab at John Deere" just a wierd situation I thought I should share. Thanks for reading.

Tomkioti

culture guy,
Yea, that's pretty bad. My experience with my dealer was completely different. When I was shopping for my new tractor, I mentioned to him that I'd looked at the MFs and they seemed antiquated. He then proceeded to educate me on why, while they may have a more tradtional look, they are very modern and well built tractors. I bought the Deere from him anyway.
WVHb

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #19  
Some of you guys might disagree some might agree but I think a sign of a truly great salesman is that he knows his competition as good if not better than the competition know their own products.

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #20  
Kyle_in_Tex said:
As a consumer, if a salesman knows of a competitor's machine's issues, I would want them to tell me about it so I could research it myself.

That's a big difference between saying that all other tractors in existance are junk because they are not green and yellow.

I don't mind a salesman/dealer pointing out -real- differences when compairing units. I also don't mind dealers having economy units that are there specifically to compete with other brands in that size range. etc.

( NH has a tc 30.. economy model.. also.. some of the 10-s series units were more of a best HP per $ type unit.. with few 'features' and a very spartan op platform and dash.. etc. - but then.. some of us guys like those economy models too.. )

Brand aside... It always strikes me that a dealership hiers a salesman ( who represents the dealer ).. and they don't always pick a person with people skills... Kinda -doesn't- make sense.

Soundguy