Black oil

/ Black oil #21  
Its normal. Its not a gas engine, diesel makes soot, oil encapsulates it. Its fine and doing what its supposed to.

The "kioti engines are know for this because they dont run hot enough...." is a BS line fed to you by the dealer to try and make you go away happy and not ask any more questions.

Its NOT a kioti thing....its a DIESEL ENGINE thing.

I thought I hit "Good Post", but guess I hit "Reply". So I will....good post, LD1.
I thought all diesel oil was black with soot, but have learned differently. Still, sooty oil is a diesel thing. Some more than others.

Both our old Ford F250 truck and the JD Backhoe have pre-emission engines and the diesel engine oil omes out looking sooty & used, but not completely black.

We have an Mercedes diesel in our old RV, it's oil comes out at 12,000 miles looking exactly like it did when it went in. No soot or dirt. Looks and runs new. It has DEF emissions equipment. Even the tail pipe is clean.

Our Kubota tractor has all the emissions equipment that came on it from the factory. Its oil comes out looking like India Ink. It could not be blacker. It will stains your skin and clothes.

All of them are high mile/high hour engines and all start easy and run fine.
You want to be careful about believing salesmen and recruiters.
rScotty

/ Black oil #22  
Thanks for the advice, maybe I should point out to Kubota and Ford how mistaken their recommendations for their Diesel engines were!
They both recommend 100 hour engine oil change intervals under ideal conditions.

I think I will continue 50 hour intervals since it's not always ideal conditions here.
You know, short 15-20 min runs occasionally etc. etc.
Oh, and it can take 3 years to get 50 hours of use sometimes, sometimes only one year.

Ford manual:
View attachment 720632

Kubota manual:
View attachment 720633

Cheers

View attachment 720634

Here’s the oil change interval for my Kubota.
IMG_0842.JPG

/ Black oil #23  
I read something on on this site: https://costeffective.com.au/2016/04/03/my-diesel-has-black-oil-after-an-oil-change/

It had a quick way to determine if there is too much soot in your oil.

Pull out the dipstick and wipe it off on your fingers, rub it between your fingers, then wipe the oil off with a rag. If your fingers are left stained from the soot then you have excessive soot in your oil.

The rational given is the soot should be suspended in the oil, if soot is left on your skin then a portion of the soot is not being suspended properly in the oil and this could be an indication that it's time to change your oil.

Opinions?

/ Black oil #24  
Soot is the result of incomplete combustion. Makes its way into the engine oil however it can. Newer diesels are designed for more complete combustion with the result being less soot load on the oil. My Cummins (1992) is particularly dirty, needs 150 hour changes, very large sump on the engine to dilute things to increase change interval. My larger Kubotas have either 400 or 500 hour change intervals but are still black by 100 hours. My small Kubota diesels, under 25 HP, are dirty and require much more frequent oil changes, 50 and 100 hours.

/ Black oil #25  
we have several tractors with original engines clocking in at over 12000hrs some simple rules
1- buy good quality fuel(if possible) and be fastidious about refuelling
2-we always use synthetic oil and change oil and filter every 150 hrs again be a bear about being clean
3-check your air filter diesels need fuel and air
4- in cold weather block off your rad diesels do not run well cold

/ Black oil #26  
Hi all Kioti owners. I have 2014 CK30 HST ( 125 hours ) and notice every years when replacing the oil that it is pretty dark. The tractor is not used very much other than snow blowing or a bit of landscaping, it sits more than anything else in the garage. I was told by the dealer that the Kioti engines are know for this as they do not run hot enough to overheat which causes the oil to be black. Anyone have any input on this.
Thanks
Quit asking that dealer for advice would be my first opinion. Second, if a Diesel engine doesn’t blacken the oil then the oil isn’t doing its job.

/ Black oil #27  
Consider the wise people who believe in science that change oil and coolant by analysis. It is not uncommon to double, or even triple, oil change intervals. Any oil that is formulated for diesel engine service by API is supposed to hold particulate in suspension, hence soot from fuel (broad term).

/ Black oil #28  
29B5CD38-0AC4-488F-B4EA-E2A59931FD86.jpeg
My oil comes out so clean my wife wants to add vinegar to it and use as salad dressing!😂☮️✌🏻

/ Black oil #29  
Thanks for the advice, maybe I should point out to Kubota and Ford how mistaken their recommendations for their Diesel engines were!
They both recommend 100 hour engine oil change intervals under ideal conditions.

I think I will continue 50 hour intervals since it's not always ideal conditions here.
You know, short 15-20 min runs occasionally etc. etc.
Oh, and it can take 3 years to get 50 hours of use sometimes, sometimes only one year.

Ford manual:
View attachment 720632

Kubota manual:
View attachment 720633

Cheers

View attachment 720634
15 to 20 minutes run times should bring everything up to operating temperature. Hours or once a year or manufacture suggestions? For warranty just don’t exceed manufacture’s suggestions on maintenance. What your billfold can stand and what helps you sleep at night controls excessive maintenance.

/ Black oil #30  
Re: the oil, mine is also black when changed.
I use my tractor frequently, but not always for more than an hour or two. I average about 100 hrs/year. To have a 7 yr old tractor with only 125 hrs seems strange.
FWIW the manual suggests oil/filter change every 100 hrs. I follow this and use Rotella T6 full synthetic and WIX filters.
And my tractor runs in the middle of the temp range per gauge.
Add a Workmaster 50 to your strange list. March of 2016 bought new. Nov. 2021 it has 199.5 hours. Change oil every 50 hours. Oil comes out black. (Mobil one Turbo synthetic)