Black smoke

/ Black smoke
The newest developments , I replaced the fuel, fuel lines, and fuel filter. Now t the exhaust is a light gray while idling. Darker when revved up but not as bad as before.

/ Black smoke #12  
The newest developments , I replaced the fuel, fuel lines, and fuel filter. Now t the exhaust is a light gray while idling. Darker when revved up but not as bad as before.

Did you crack lines to see if it was from a certain cylinder? Not hard to do at the pump but mind your PPE and have some rags.

/ Black smoke #13  
Yeah would do that and check the valve backlash. If the head was off that could causing it as well.

/ Black smoke #14  
Probably should have checked compression before pulling the head and had the head checked when it was off. Missed opportunities!

/ Black smoke
I had the engine rebuilt with oversize pistols last spring. I had the head done at that time. I had the head checked this time too they replaced the seals again. And yes I did crack the injection lines and you definitely could here a difference in the engine.

/ Black smoke #16  
I had the engine rebuilt with oversize pistols last spring. I had the head done at that time. I had the head checked this time too they replaced the seals again. And yes I did crack the injection lines and you definitely could here a difference in the engine.

My apologies, I should have re-read the entire thread before posting!

/ Black smoke #17  

Did a certain cylinder make any more or less of a difference than the rest when cracking the line? Did you check spillover timing?

/ Black smoke
After letting it run for a while today the smoke cleared up a lot . On idle it has a light white but revved up it has a lot more white smoke. I don't quite under the injection pump timing .

/ Black smoke #19  
After letting it run for a while today the smoke cleared up a lot . On idle it has a light white but revved up it has a lot more white smoke. I don't quite under the injection pump timing .

Do you have the manual so you can do the spillover timing check procedure?

It almost sounds like you're experiencing the same thing mine did before I cranked up the timing (which got rid of the smoke, but blew the head gasket).

I would check timing, and then if it's within spec, put an hour of medium varying load on it.