Black watery carbon spraying out of my exhaust

/ Black watery carbon spraying out of my exhaust #1  

herbfarmer

Tractor
New Holland Workmaster55 Farmall cub 1950
My New Holland Workmaster 55 with 200 hours has had black watery carbon spraying out of the exhaust and onto the tractor and driver (Me) :mad:. My dealer says it is condensation and not a big problem but it makes a mess and may be getting worse. The cold weather probably makes it worse but it also happens in the summertime too. Anyone have any info on what this is and how I should try to deal with it? It doesn't spray out constantly, more intermittently like when I put a load on the motor.

/ Black watery carbon spraying out of my exhaust #2  
Sounds like your getting rain into your exhaust. Cover it with something when you shut the machine down. Truckers have this problem with the big miter cut stacks that they like so much.

/ Black watery carbon spraying out of my exhaust
No rain is able to get into the exhaust as I keep the tractor in a shed and the exhaust tip is bent over at a 90 degree angle. I checked for cracks all around the exhaust and haven't seen anything there either but i do appreciate the tip.

/ Black watery carbon spraying out of my exhaust #4  
How hard do you work it?
Do you have an idiot light or a gauge for the coolant temperature?
If only starting up and letting it warm up a little bit, then you aren't drying it out (running it warm enough) enough to get rid of the condensation.

/ Black watery carbon spraying out of my exhaust #5  
Do you run your tractor long and hard enough to repeatedly remove the condensation from the exhaust? Running them repeatedly for short periods of time under low load will allow the condensation to accumulate.

It does seem worse when I am just hauling firewood or moving snow around the yard than when I'm really working it pulling plows or harrows etc. Does this mean I should run it hard for a while every now and then even during the winter when I'm not farming with it? Thanks for the advice

/ Black watery carbon spraying out of my exhaust #7  
Is the tractor in a garage or barn thats sometimes heated then allowed to get cold?

No, its in an open shed but we have crazy temperature extremes here in Vermont. Last night it was -24 F last week was rainy in the 40's

/ Black watery carbon spraying out of my exhaust #9  
Combustion produces water as well as soot. It the exhaust pipes don't get hot enough, the water condenses, mixes with soot and ruins your clothes.

You might drill a small hole where the water collects to drain it from the pipes or muffler. Be careful that the jet of hot gas you create doesn't burn or melt some thing close by.

/ Black watery carbon spraying out of my exhaust #10  
It's called "wet stacking" and it's caused by not using the engine long enough to warm it up sufficiently.The exhaust gas temperture is relively low and an oily black mixture of carbon and unburned fuel forms and accumulates in the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe.