Black Widow Spiders

/ Black Widow Spiders #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
While moving firewood into my basement yesterday, I came across some healthy Black Widows living in my wood pile. Any known way to get rid of these unwanted spiders?

Thanks
Frank

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

/ Black Widow Spiders #2  
Since you don't list your location in you profile I can't help much.

Here we have black widows turn up most everywhere that isn't moved often. Depending where I find them, I have different was to kill them but have't really discovered any sure way to prevent them.

/ Black Widow Spiders #3  
I spray my firewood with insectide when I stack it because it's gonna sit for several years. All around the bottom rows about a foot up. I also spray the ground for carpenter ants before I stack the wood. I've never seen a black widow spider in our firewood. But then again, I've don't look for them either. They are native to this area. So, don't know if what I do helps or not.

When I bring the wood into the house, I don't see any insects. I bring in about 400 pieces at a time. About the only bugs I've ever seen are the occasional wood roach and always stink bugs.

/ Black Widow Spiders #4  
In my past I would find all kinds of critters in my woodpile, until I started spraying with a termicide kind of spray. Bifen IT. No spiders or ants or anything else after that. I spray my woodpile as I get a row up and then again after every new row of wood. 2ozs/gallon of water. Every year after a light spray over the top of the pile.

The directions say to not use on firewood though, but WTH. Works great in Tennessee.

/ Black Widow Spiders #5  
I'm not sure I'd spray something I'll be burning inside my house.

I have laid granular pest products on the ground around the wood pile though.

/ Black Widow Spiders #6  
I'd not use insecticide on firewood intended for cooking. But for the wood burner wood, well, I use it or I have the carpenter ants something awful.

/ Black Widow Spiders #7  
I'm like MossRoad. We never burned wood to cook, so when we kept a pile of firewood for the fireplace, I sprayed it with insecticide so I never brought anything into the house that I regretted.

And I've always remembered when my paternal grandmother saw a black widow spider on the wall in the house and she just squashed it with her hand. She was an old farm wife and I don't think she was scared of anything. But that black widow got her, right in between the second and third fingers. For awhile she was afraid she was going to lose that hand, but it eventually healed except that she had a pretty good knot between those fingers the rest of her life.

/ Black Widow Spiders #8  
I have black widow spiders everywhere - basement, garage, barn, woodpile...I don't know of any way to get rid of all of them. But I kill individual spiders when I find their webs where they would be an immediate problem by giving them a quick spritz of WD-40. Just a tiny spray is needed and they die within a minute. Don't remember where I heard about this method but I believe I read that the oil penetrates and suffocates them.

/ Black Widow Spiders #9  
I've used soapy water in a spray bottle for black widow spiders.

Bruce

/ Black Widow Spiders #10  
I have black widow spiders everywhere - basement, garage, barn, woodpile...I don't know of any way to get rid of all of them. But I kill individual spiders when I find their webs where they would be an immediate problem by giving them a quick spritz of WD-40. Just a tiny spray is needed and they die within a minute. Don't remember where I heard about this method but I believe I read that the oil penetrates and suffocates them.
It won't keep new ones from coming in, but in enclosed areas like basements and garages, bug bomb sprays kill the existing insects including spiders. The kind of bug bomb spays that you set off and leave the area for an hour or two.