Blackberring clearing

/ Blackberring clearing #21  
Wish I was closer, I'd come pick those tasty berries first!

Yep! :)

You could get a ratchet rake. It works well for clearing up messes like that. It would take a bit more time than the dozer, though.

/ Blackberring clearing #22  
Blackberries don't like to be mowed. Mow over them for a couple of years, and they'll disappear (except the inaccessible areas, of course).

The small trees are another problem. It depends on what you wish to do with the field. If you wish to do hay, a dozer might be the best alternative. If you want it for pasture, perhaps try one of these tree grinders.

attachment.php

The trees might come back quicker than the blackberries though.

If you doze it, you will need to pile everything up and burn it. And, dirt & tree roots is a pain to deal with, although I've chopped the dirt out of half burnt rootballs and burnt them again... and again, until they finally disappeared.

/ Blackberring clearing #23  
I use my rough cut mower. It mounts on the front of my tractor on the FEL so make it real easy to see where im mowing and also mows a path for me to travel on. I cut maybe once a year depending on location and every other in others.

/ Blackberring clearing #24  
Hit 'em with Garlon. Come back a week later with the brush mower, and go slow.

A flail chopper would work, but seeing as how you don't know exactly whats in the tangles, stick with the Brush mower.
Replacing an inner tube here and there, or a Mower blade is cheap.
Start mangling Flail hammers, and you're into more money than a new Brush mower.

I get tempted to attack stumps with ours now and then, but a couple decades ago I watched the cousin attack one, and do a couple grand worth of damage in a few minuites...so the temptation is always brief.

/ Blackberring clearing #25  
I use my dozer on them and then spread grass as soon as possible. But has anyone tried something like a Harley rake? It would be easier to transport than a dozer.

/ Blackberring clearing #26  
I use my rough cut mower. It mounts on the front of my tractor on the FEL so make it real easy to see where im mowing and also mows a path for me to travel on. I cut maybe once a year depending on location and every other in others.

Could you give some details of this setup?
Tractor size, how the mower works, mower size etc?

/ Blackberring clearing #27  
My first thought was eat the berries, then Burn the overgrown bushes that are in the way. A controlled burn is probably the only way to do it effectively, and probably best done in the fall - so first step is to harvest what you can, and then beat them up with the tractor and equipment throughout the summer, finish them off with a hotdog roast in October. Blackberries (like Rhubarb) are best ONLY in the area that you want them in.

/ Blackberring clearing #28  
I just finished cleaning up about 17 acres of trees & blackberries. I started out with my tractor & bush hog but ended up renting a brush cutter for my skid steer. All together I spent about 30 hours on it. I was able to cut all of the trees that were 3.5" diameter less.

ForumRunner_20130619_064436.jpg

ForumRunner_20130619_064603.jpg

ForumRunner_20130619_064728.png

ForumRunner_20130619_064806.jpg

/ Blackberring clearing #29  
Could you give some details of this setup?
Tractor size, how the mower works, mower size etc?
Not wanting to hijack this thread so ill be brief. Power-Trac made in Tazewell VA. mine is a 22 horse, quick attach implements, mower is hydraulic 48" pretty stable on side hills, articulated so it's easy to get around trees and other obstructions which is the main reason i got one. I wouldn't want to try to plow a field with one.

/ Blackberring clearing
Well wanted to give an update with some pictures for everyone.... I ended up renting a dozer with a brush rake on the front.. It worked great. The dozer was a JD 450H (about 15k) so had to have it delivered. But there was not too much there to stop it.... Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the brush pile (no burning at this location, in the urban growth boundary) :^(... I spend about 10 hours on site last Friday working on this. This fall I will keep it mowed down and try and plant grass for him...

One funny part of the story, The first place I was going to rent from decided they did not want to rent to me because I was going to use it to clear blackberries... They did not want to scratch the dozer :laughing: I wonder what you are suppose to use a brush rack for then?

Anyway here are the after shots...

area cleared.JPGarea cleared2.JPGdozer.JPGpile of stuff.JPG

The before shots just to compare...

photo (1).JPGphoto.JPG