Bleeding 1533 hydraulics

/ Bleeding 1533 hydraulics #1  

CDsdad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
I just changed the hydraulic filter and fluid in my 1533. As usual, I had no hydraulics when I got through.

I worked all my hydraulics slowly but never got anything going. So, I backed out the bleeder screw on the main hydraulic pump, nothing coming out. I backed it out some more and eventually just took it out all together. I got it that time. Everything working.

Now I have a question. Am I just mechanically challenged, or shouldn't it bleed the air with the plug just loosened? It's no big deal, except that Permatran is about $17/gallon and I wound up with about $3 worth on the ground, loader, tractor tire and about $1 worth on me. The other thing I figure could happen if the plug was loose but too loose, is the plug could blow off and be lost. And I'm sure my wonderful local dealer would have to order one. I even tried to bleed it at the sub-pump first because I though it might bleed out slower. No luck there as the main pump was too airbound I guess. Just wondering if anybody has any unique methods for a pretty straightforward task.

And 1 more thing for anybody who hasn't done any service on the 1500s yet. The o-rings on the engin oil plugs on mine were in bad shape. I don't know if I pinched or mashed them or if it's the way they fit. I'm not leaking, but will have to replace both on the next oil change.

/ Bleeding 1533 hydraulics
Guess I should've posted about a GCxxxx. Probably had plenty of responses to that.

/ Bleeding 1533 hydraulics #3  
CDsdad said:
Just wondering if anybody has any unique methods for a pretty straightforward task.

I did my own 50 and 150 service with all of the fluids and filters changed with no problems. Just drained, filled and go..

Sorry I can't help but my scheduled services have been straightforward so far..

/ Bleeding 1533 hydraulics
Thanks mtg65.

/ Bleeding 1533 hydraulics #5  
CDsdad said:
And 1 more thing for anybody who hasn't done any service on the 1500s yet. The o-rings on the engin oil plugs on mine were in bad shape. I don't know if I pinched or mashed them or if it's the way they fit. I'm not leaking, but will have to replace both on the next oil change.

Well that's good to know. My dealer did my first 50 and the 150, meant a trip of a 100 miles for the Tech, they came a picked up my 1523 for the later - all included as part of the original deal - and therefore at no cost.

I think I will get them to do the 300hr 'on site', and take some lessons on how it done - just to get it right for the next time when I do it myself.

The dealer has been really great, considering that the 150 was nearly a year and a half after I bought it.

EanJay

/ Bleeding 1533 hydraulics #6  
eanjay said:
Well that's good to know. My dealer did my first 50 and the 150, meant a trip of a 100 miles for the Tech, they came a picked up my 1523 for the later - all included as part of the original deal - and therefore at no cost.

I think I will get them to do the 300hr 'on site', and take some lessons on how it done - just to get it right for the next time when I do it myself.

The dealer has been really great, considering that the 150 was nearly a year and a half after I bought it.

EanJay

Is your 1523 hydro? How has it been??

/ Bleeding 1533 hydraulics #7  
When I did mine I had to bleed. I would not recommend taking the plug all the way out, just loosening. I had about a gallon of Permatran on my garage wall when I tried it that way.

The trick is to loosen the plug, then turn your steering wheel back and forth until you see fluid coming out. You wont have steering either until you get the air out. Then tighten up, work everything a bit, and repeat the bleeding another time or two. Really, the trick is wiggling the steering wheel.

/ Bleeding 1533 hydraulics #8  
I just changed my filter as well and can't figure out where the bleeder screw is. Can you give me an idea where to find it? Thanks.

/ Bleeding 1533 hydraulics #9  
The bleed screw is on the hyd pump which is just to the right of the fuel pump. Look for the fuel filter then look toward the front of the tractor on the side of the engine. I'm not near my tractor or I'd send you a pic. Also it is shown well in my manual. FYI the fuel bleed screw is wrong in the manual it's the screw next to the one they point at.

/ Bleeding 1533 hydraulics #10  
I just had this same problem on my MF 1533 and the answer here is correct. I drained the hydraulic oil and removed the filter, replaced it and refilled, but had no hydraulics for the 3pt hitch lift or the FEL. The tractor would move. I found the information in this thread and it was correct. Remove the right side panel to get at the hydraulic pump. The pump has two puck-looking things on top of it; each has a screw sort of sticking out its side. A 11mm wrench fits them. I loosened each a little (but didn't remove them) and started the tractor. Foam started oozing out the rearward one almost immediately, and I moved the joystick control for the FEL and it moved, and more foam came out. Once I turned the steering wheel a little, foam started coming out the front one. I moved the bucket and the lift until foam stopped coming out the rear one (meaning it was just hydraulic fluid, not foamy) then tightened it up. I continued moving the steering wheel back and forth until the front one stopped foaming, then tightened it up. I was so relieved to find this simple fix, and there was not one word about it in the manual.