Blitz or Morton?

/ Blitz or Morton?
RIT,
Thanks for your reply. Your house sounds awesome, I wish my wife would let me get away with something like that. My brother in law is trying to talk me into in floor heating because they have it in their shop and he says it is the best. Once you heat the floor the recovery rate is great when you have to open up a door. I plan on getting my main structure built this winter. Pour the concrete and hang the overhead doors in the summer. Install the ceiling and insulate it in the fall. I wish I could justify the expense of geothermal for this building as I really don't want or need to keep it all that warm so it would be super economical. Just warm enough to wrench on cars and tractors.

Tony
13 acres outside FT Campbell, KY
IH504 w/ New Idea 504 FEL (stout)

/ Blitz or Morton? #12  
RIT,
Thanks for your reply. Your house sounds awesome, I wish my wife would let me get away with something like that. My brother in law is trying to talk me into in floor heating because they have it in their shop and he says it is the best. Once you heat the floor the recovery rate is great when you have to open up a door. I plan on getting my main structure built this winter. Pour the concrete and hang the overhead doors in the summer. Install the ceiling and insulate it in the fall. I wish I could justify the expense of geothermal for this building as I really don't want or need to keep it all that warm so it would be super economical. Just warm enough to wrench on cars and tractors.

Tony
13 acres outside FT Campbell, KY
IH504 w/ New Idea 504 FEL (stout)

If you do Morton let them finish it inside with rib metal. They did my garage (30 by 48) for way less than $1000. Don't remember the figure but I remember I couldn't buy half of the drywall for the money.

/ Blitz or Morton?
RIT,
Thanks for the idea. I was planning on doing the ceiling myself but if they can do something relatively cheap it would not be worth the extra pain.

/ Blitz or Morton? #14  
Since you don't plan on moving don't skimp on anything! Do it once, do it right. Put Pex in the floor whether or not you'll use it right away. Those heated floors are great when you're working under a car.
Go with Raynor overhead doors. They're the Cadillac.
Insulate the entire roof. Otherwise you'll have a condensation problem.
Rough in a toilet and slop sink.

/ Blitz or Morton?
Pops15,
Thanks for the sage advice, I figured since I am doing things incrementally putting the PEX in the floor makes sense. I really am not trying to be pennywise and dollar foolish but it is just hard for me to pay Morton an extra 10k for not much added benefit. When you talk of insulating the entire roof, do I still need to do that if I install an insulated ceiling with a ridge vent running the entire length of the building like a house? Thanks again for the advice and great ideas.

/ Blitz or Morton?
So, has anyone here had any experience at all with Blitz builders? They have been around for quite sometime and have built a lot in Indiana and Kentucky.

/ Blitz or Morton? #17  
Pops15,
Thanks for the sage advice, I figured since I am doing things incrementally putting the PEX in the floor makes sense. I really am not trying to be pennywise and dollar foolish but it is just hard for me to pay Morton an extra 10k for not much added benefit. When you talk of insulating the entire roof, do I still need to do that if I install an insulated ceiling with a ridge vent running the entire length of the building like a house? Thanks again for the advice and great ideas.

Use PEX with oxygen barrier. It is a must if you use gas or wood boiler to prevent corrosion. Insulate the floor too.

/ Blitz or Morton? #18  
So, has anyone here had any experience at all with Blitz builders? They have been around for quite sometime and have built a lot in Indiana and Kentucky.

Tony,
Realize this is a old post, put I'm in a similiar situation. Morton vs. Blitz. Blitz is currently offering 5% upfront. Morton is offering pay now, building after 1st of year. Still waiting on details of this offer.

Curious what you decided.
Frank
Ashland, Ky.