Block Heater Gone Bad?

/ Block Heater Gone Bad? #1  

LGinIA

Silver Member
Tractor
JD X485 AWS,B2410,RTV900
I have a block heater installed on my B2410 and believe that it has shorted out. Cannot plug it in as it blows a circuit breaker. When the rubber electrical plug is removed, there is evidence of water on the inside of the heater connection and black marks on the rubber plug due to a spark. Has anyone ever had a block heater go bad, short out or leak at the center of the plug. Plug does not appear to leak at the screw-in connection to the block. I guess I'm going to replace this plug. Interested in knowing if this is a common problem.

/ Block Heater Gone Bad? #2  
Probably not that common. Usually the problem lies with the cord where it plugs into the heater.

Egon

/ Block Heater Gone Bad? #3  
It's been my experience that it's the cord that's bad. You can take a continuity tester and check across the prongs on the block heater to test it if in doubt.

/ Block Heater Gone Bad?
Used an Ohlm meter to check the block heater and there was zero resistance on the two pins. The electrical cord checks out ok without a short. Block heater must have shorted out.

/ Block Heater Gone Bad? #5  
Next on Oprah - When good block heaters go bad - we talk to the frustrated owners... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bummer that it shorted out on you. At least they aren't too expensive.