Block Heater Install/freeze plug removal notes

/ Block Heater Install/freeze plug removal notes #1  

ksshooter

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30
I thought I would pass along a few notes about the removal of the freeze plug needed to do the block heater install. With a screwdriver sitting on the inside edge of the plug I first tapped the screwdriver with a hammer. Then I got serious and then I punched a hole through the freeze plug...s$%t! I did not think that was supposed to happen. Move to a new spot and tried again...another hole...WTH? So I finally started hitting the edge of the plug which I had stayed away from since I did not want to score the block itself. Before doing that I put a screw in one of the holes and gripped it with a small vicegrip so I would not loose the plug! Hitting the edge worked but it put the plug in the block. While pulling it from the block I managed to hit a hot wire on the alternator twice with another pair of vicegrips I was using to PULL the **** thing through the hole. No damage that I know of, but a word of caution that it might not be a bad idea to disconnect the battery (very hard to reach) or cover the alternator with a heavy plastic tarp or bag to shield it from being touched. It is NOT easy to pull that plug through that hole. I had no idea the plug was as heavy as it was. I thought it would be considerably lighter metal considering how easy I went through it with a screwdriver.
BTW..I did this with the loader on :eek: and that was a poor decision which made life much harder. I would advice taking the loader off first. I did not because I did not want to work with a hot engine and I wanted it installed now! :cool: I thought someone might benefit from my experience. :ashamed:

/ Block Heater Install/freeze plug removal notes #2  
You just learned that a screwdriver is closer in functionality to a cold chisel than a punch. A decent diameter punch would have spun the frostplug 90 degrees without poking holes in it or sending it into the water jacket.

/ Block Heater Install/freeze plug removal notes #3  
I went through the same thing when I did mine. I was lucky, I stopped before the frostplug went into the engine. I drilled a hole in the plug and screwed a body panel puller into it a pulled it out that way.

/ Block Heater Install/freeze plug removal notes
You just learned that a screwdriver is closer in functionality to a cold chisel than a punch. A decent diameter punch would have spun the frostplug 90 degrees without poking holes in it or sending it into the water jacket.
If I ever do another it will be with a good sized punch! :thumbsup:

I don't have a body panel puller but the screw did help me NOT lose the plug.:D